Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar

Some ENG Coverage I did a couple of weeks ago

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXARaPBOFcQ

As usual the sound isn't the best, but I tried to reduce the noise in post as best I could without too much loss of quality. Also, what do you think colour-wise? I've always used my camera on the default colour setting, but for this I tried boosting it to the max (there's only 5 stages I think, 3 being the default). I thought it looked a lot more vibrant, but perhaps too vibrant?

The room was poorly lit, and the window behind me wasn't able to be closed, which is why there is a lot of outside noise (the siren was pretty annoying!).

This was also before I had my light (that's another story - I got cancelled an hour before I was to leave for it, because they hadn't got permission for me to film ) so that's why it's a little darker after the main session. Just after he finishes the questions, and people are leaving (in slo-mo) I have no idea why that isn't full brightness - I checked the timeline after it had been uploaded, and there was no effect applied to it (other than the time). No opacity or colour-change at all. Any ideas?

James

Thanks for sharing the video James, the color boost looks alright to me. Vibrancy-wise, depends on ur preference. The only ways to get a better sound is either 1. Have a line out from the mixer (seems there is a PA/sound system around) and record into a small mp3 recorder or your camera (if it is stationary) or 2. have wireless/wired mics/lavs that run to the speaker (which will only solve the issue for the keynote speaker, not the rest). Adjusting your reverb might help.

As for the dark patch, if you are using Premiere, check if you've accidentally lowered the opacity level in ur video. I cannot remember if opacity drops upon a slo-mo efx. Question: Is it native from your rushes? If it is, probably it comes from auto-exposure and the camera compensated 'cleverly'.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Hi James

Nicely covered!! Yep the audio does suck!!! The obvious answer is to firstly ask the guy if you can clip a radio mic on him...that makes life a lot easier. What most ENG cameramen do is have an assistant with a handheld mic and the assistant keeps the mic out of shot and also asks the questions. Our TV crews here don't mess around either..if they are doing an ENG recording the camera is at full wide and they are no further than a metre from the subject!!! That way any handheld wobbles are less evident and audio is fairly good!!
    What I would suggest is buy a Rode VideoMic!!!! They are absolutely awesome for punching thru noise and you get almost as good a result as a lav if you are close enough!! Amazing mics!!!! When I do wedding guest interviews I just use a Rode and the audio is clean, even in a noisy room. Well worth the investment!!! Dunno about the UK but you should get a brand new one for under 70!!! (They are AUS$149 here) Actually the mics have so much "oomph" that I have to kick in my -20db attenuator on the XLR channel at wedding receptions otherwise the sound gets blown out.

Chris

Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar
    Cheers Chris - I was there for a good hour or so - knackered at the end!

Wireless lavs are well out of my league right now. Cheapest are still too expensive.

The VideoMic I've looked at before, but I've always judged my mic to be quite 'nice' in terms of quality, but it does get noisy sometimes. It also struggles with loud noise, something which I'm finding more and more common to be recording. I did think of getting something like an Edirol R-05 or 09(HR), which I've used before, and does quite nicely in terms of quality etc.

The thing I struggle with is that I only have one audio input on my camera, and if I was to get (for example) another mic, I'd be tempted to go along the mixer route, and have one or more mics plugged into one of those usb mixers, then into my laptop. But that's a long way away yet :-)

James

Blog Entries
    Nice work James. Shame about the audio, and I personally found the music bed a little distracting while having to concentrate on what he was saying. The music would be fine if the speaking was a bit clearer.

Strange about the dark bit. It does look a bit like you've accidentally dragged down the opacity band but I guess you checked that. Altering the time shouldn't change the opacity or brightness. Weird.

Well put together video though. Keep it up.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com