HTTP Progressive Streaming ...I'm VERY new at this...

I use a program that can create web pages with embedded media player. It requires no knowledge of web building or coding... no server side software is needed to create a finished page. I created an example page and placed all the files on a removable storage drive. It plays back beautifully on any machine I have opened the drive on (any computer at school, the library, a friends or any in my home...). I am assuming since this is an HTML and Java Script series of files holding the text, photos, video etc. the removable drive is acting like a dedicated server because once I open it and click through some messages regarding unblocking certain control and active X bypassing to view offline on my workstation, it plays immediately and loads (31 minutes) video with instantaneous access to the entire video through use of the scrub bar... the ending is as instantly there as is the beginning... once again, this is calling up the storage drive itself, opening and hitting the IE icon within the file and I have instant web page with video acting immediately for any point of playback! I'm new at this so please bare my small understanding of means and ways here...
    This description implies to me that as a downloading or progressive downloading video delivery, all I need is my ISP and not also a streaming service provider as well. Might this only need acquiring a plan through my ISP for a dedicated server? I have parked my domain and never activated web abilities or activation of the site name. I'm unsure if I would get the same result or am missing anything... am I ? Could someone let me know if I am understanding this correctly or if I'm missing something? Any wisdoms out there would be considered highly valuable... Thank you in advance. I am a new member to the forum and am so glad I found you guys... I've learned most all this on my own. I started in this as a video content creator and editor/cameraman. Now I up to this point. I want to go for online delivery and of course without undue spending. I look forward to your comments...Thanks again!

Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar
    Hi Alamo Stone,

If the page/video works on your computer (and others, as you point out) then theoretically all you need to do is make those files available online. So, for example, if your ISP allows you to host files on one of their servers, just upload all of your files (HTML, Javascript, video file(s)) to there, and it'll work. In terms of uploading/web hosting you'll need to let us know some more details, but any standard web hosting will allow you HTML/JS and I doubt there's any reason why a video wouldn't work either.

Let us know if there's anything else you need help with.

James

Blog Entries
    I agree, in theory you should be able to upload everything to a web server and it will work. In practice I'd be surprised if you didn't encounter a few minor issues - there are some subtle differences in the way a web server handles things and you'll probably need to adjust a few settings such as the location of various files. Whether you'll need a dedicated server or just a standard hosting plan depends on the scale of the project. A standard hosting plan can deliver a moderate number of simultaneous videos but if you're expecting high traffic or if you're using a lot of heavy files, you may need more than a simple hosting plan. Dedicated servers are usually only required if you have specialized needs such as very complex scripts (programs that run on the server), server-side encoding, etc. It's certainly nice to have the full control and dedicated bandwidth of a dedicated server, but it's a relatively big step to take.

Of course whatever hosting solution you opt for, you won't get anything like the performance of running videos from a local drive.

Anyway, I'd suggest starting with a simple hosting, upload the minimum number of files to do some testing and see how you go.

BTW what video file format dare you using?
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

I'm using a windows media/mpeg file within the video player

Thanks... that helped clear up that... Manchester, UK eh? I use to live in Mildenhall, Suffolk... New market area. Sometimes I wish I was still there.