Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Tom Cruise Squirted

Tom Cruise was sprayed with water by a crew shooting a comedy sketch:
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movi....ap/index.html

Maybe I have no sense of humour but this sort of stunt just doesn't seem funny to me. What's witty or clever about spraying an unsuspecting victim with water?
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

errr

Tom Cruise completely overreacted

First of all, this huge "assault" on Tom Cruise was just a bit of water in the face. I think Tom Cruise is so used to getting special star treatment that he is completely forgetting that hes just like everyone else. If someone else got sprayed in the face with a fake microphone that wasnt a celebirty there would have been no assault charges pressed. He completely overreacted to the situation and should have just wiped his face and walked away. I was also surprised that Cruise wasn't aware that there are people in the world that aren't always nice and respectful. The world is full of people who are jerky, and in fact, everyone has been jerky in their life. HIs ego is so huge he makes this whole situation seem like this man took a shot at him or something ridiculous. If this is the worst thing that happens to him in his life, he has it pretty good. I'm sure Tom Cruise has done something stupid or disrespectful in his life before; he's not perfect like he tries to make it seem he is. Keep in mind this was just a practical joke and not a malicious attack, whether it is funny or not does not matter. sry this reply is a little long but im just fed up with this whole "Oh Poor Tom Cruise, that water must have scarred you for life" sympathy bit everyones giving to him.

Blog Entries
    Some fair points there about celebrities. I don't pretend to know what Tom himself is like but I'm sure a lot of Hollywood celebs could do with a dose of reality from time to time. It was good to see that Tom dropped the assault charge - that was way OTT.

I stand by my point though, which wasn't about the terrible suffering poor Tom was subjected to - it was the rise of this type of "humour". Spraying someone with water just doesn't seem funny to me. I think humour needs to have some sort of cleverness or originality. I enjoy a good practical joke, like Candid Camera or Punk'd. In these shows there is a sense of sport - the jokesters outwit the victims in humourous ways but there is always a sense of fair play. And importantly, the jokesters face up to the victims afterward instead of running away and hiding.

If there was a rating scale for funny practical jokes I think water spray would be about equal with the buzzer handshake. Yawn
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

It wasn't just water, it was total lack of respect and an attempt at public humiliation. Tom fought back and publicly humiliated the moron... Best possible reaction from Tom. He served the guy his own medecine

Blog Entries
    Well, Mr. Cruise really is the centre of attention at the moment with his new-found openess about his faith as well as his comments about psychiatry. As both a registered psychiatric nurse and an amateur scientist I can't let his description of psychiatry as a "pseudo science" pass without rebuttal.

Dictionary.com defines pseudoscience as: "A theory, methodology, or practice that is considered to be without scientific foundation."

Tom Cruise has made much of the fact that he has thoroughly researched the topic of psychiatry. He also seems to assume that no one else has done so. Whatever he may think of the field, it is innacurate to call it a pseudo science. Psychiatry does have a foundation in science, it relies on the principles of the scientific method, it is open to peer review and meets all the criteria of a legitimate science. Tom is clearly wrong in his terminology.

When asked about cases where psychiatry has helped patients, Tom became very evasive. He claims that psychiatry cannot help people but he refuses to discuss cases where it obviously has.

I spent a number of years working in psychiatry before my career change to media production. I have experienced the difficulties associated with the field - it is fraught with problems. However it is not a pseudo science, it is a genuine area of medicine which achieves genuine results. If Tom Cruise or any other scientologists can produce any scientific evidence to the contrary, then let's hear it. Until then, I'm afraid it's Tom's faith which appears to be the pseuodoscience.

On that point, I wonder if Tom Cruise can describe the scientific foundation of scientology. I seriously doubt it.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

dan
    Tom is right

Do this...

1- Go to http://video.msn.com
    2 - Search for "tom cruise"
    3 - Watch "Was Cruise Right about psychiatry

Blog Entries
    There is no search option at that link. Can you provide a direct link to the video?

Not that it will make any difference. Tom is completely wrong and anyone who can use a dictionary knows it. Psychiatry is no more a pseudo-science than it is a pastry.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Dan
    Nah i tried... can't send a direct link...

the search feature is on the top of the left menu "Video Search"

A Professor of spychiatry at Harvard medical shcool agrees with most of what Tom Said and he seem to know what he's talking about.

Dan
    Here's an other one that backs Tom

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2005/7/prweb263144.htm

Blog Entries
    I found the first video. In typical Microsoft fashion, they only allow you to see the video options if you use IE.

Anyway, the closest the interview came to saying "Tom is right" is that he had some valid points which shouldn't be overlooked. On one hand this is fair enough - antidepressants are certainly over-prescribed and drug companies are notorious for making exaggerated claims. However it's clear to me that Tom never intended to say anti-depressants should be prescribed with more moderation and education. He clearly said that they were ineffective. More to the point he described psychiatry as a pseudo-science which is blatant nonsense. Psychiatry is a science with a lot of problems but that's a very different thing to a pseudo-science.

Tom may have inadvertently made some half-true statements, but the thrust of his argument is dangerously wrong. Saying that psychiatry is a pseudo-science because some medications are over-prescribed is like saying mathematics is a pseudo-science because some people can't add.

I'm not going to continue this argument because there are other people asking questions in these forums which need answers and I don't have time for all of them. Sorry but I really don't want to spend any more time talking about Tom's idiotic and grossly uninformed rantings, when 99% of the population can already see them for what they are.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast