Canon Legria HV40 Analog to Digital Conversion

I wonder if anyone can help me regarding analog to digital conversion using the Canon Legria HV40?
    I can connect the STV-250N cable between the VCR and camera and get the tape to play in the video camera viewfinder, but how does one actually record the tape? I presume that this can only be done using the camera in PLAY mode? I have set the camera AV to DV to ON in the Playback mode.

Hi Malcolm
    I am assuming that you have analogue footage on a VHS tape and want to record it in digital??? If so, as far as I know the HV40 can only record to tape in this mode and doesn't have a "pass thru" feature. Check the manual but to do Analogue to DV you would put the AV input into DV mode and then surely drop in a blank tape and hit record??? After that you can simply transfer the DV footage to your computer???

Chris

Thanks Chris for your reply. I have now sorted the problem and can convert analog to digital using the Legria HV40. In my mindset I thought that one would end up with with analog converted signal on the mini dv tape. This is not the case. The act of passing the analog signal through the camcorder converts it to digital. There is no routine set out in the Canon manual to explain this facility. So the setup procedure to convert the signal is as follows: using a SCART/RED- WHITE-YELLOW adaptor and Canon STV-250N Stereo Video Cable connect the VCR to HV40; using the HV40 FUNC button in playback mode set AV-DV to ON; start the tape in the VCR and set to PAUSE - the still image appears on the HV40 playback screen; connect the HV40 to the computer - in my case an iMac - using the iMac firewire; the download screen will appear on the iMac with the same still image displayed; set up an event in iMovie for the converted video; now set the VCR to PLAY and the iMac to IMPORT; Note: the only confirmation that the converted signal is being imported on the iMac is a very small red recording light on the download screen time clock.