Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New to videocoverage business

Goodday house,
    i would like to know what exactly do i need to start a videocoverage business.
    -The camcorder spec,(type,make)
    -The computer spec,
    -The editing Software.and some other necessary things u think i should know.

N.B - My budget is very low.(cos as a beginner)

Hoping for your quick response.

Thanks

Pls,i need a reply pls...........

Hi Paxson

More details please!! What are you intending to do?? Events, Corporate ??? What will the final output be to the client?? YouTube or DVD ???

Chris

i would like to venture into events and the output would be dvd.
    what are the neccessary instruments,Camcorder specs,computer specs,editing software e.t.c

N.B...'m working on a small capital..just nid to know the minimal requirements..thanks

If you are doing events like weddings then you need to look at two cameras, nowdays that will be only HD even if you are creating DVD's. I use Pansonic HMC Series only (around $4000 each) but your cheapest option would be Sony HD1000 units. You will need the NLE that suits you too. I use Sony Vegas 9 with you can get away with Sony Movie Studio as well. At least a DuoCore computer is required. Remember you also need wireless mics, tripods, lights and basically a spare of everything if you want to shoot one-off events. I suspect you could setup around the $6000 mark if you are careful what you buy!!!

Chris

Thanks chris for ur in depth response..but,apart from Panasonic hmc series,which other camcorder can i start with pending the time i would gather more capital.

hoping for your quick response.

For new cameras probably the best entry level events camera would be the Sony HD1000 ... however you will need an on-camera light if you are working indoors or at night!!

I think your starting point has to be your budget. Decide how much you can afford to lay out, and then add some more.
    As with most business ventures that involve the use of technical equipment, the set-up cost will far outweigh any initial income so be prepared to spend before you earn.
    If you are aiming to do private event type video, weddings, parties etc. you'll find that your skill is more important than your equipment (so long as you have good reliable kit).
    If you are planning on more commercial business work you will need to outlay some serious money to be able to do more than the odd one-off.
    For the first type of work a good brand (Sony/Panasonic/Canon/JVC) high end consumer camcorder (up to $1500) should be okay for a year; they are not designed to be worked hard. Choice is really down to personal preference and (importantly) good local service/backup. For Commercial work you really need at least an entry level professional camcorder, $3000 upwards. You could buy used but be very careful, I'd be wary of using an unknown camera on a paid for commission. You'll find that professional standard DV camcorders are around for much reduced prices as most people buying new opt for HDV/HD.
    Whichever route you take the following are vital if you want to produce good quality work.
    Spare battery , and yet another one. Without power you'll have a useless brick of plastic and glass.
    A tripod. A good solid tripod is a must for professional looking footage. One of the comments I repeatedly get from my wedding customers is just how steady and easy to watch my work is compared to many others who find working with a tripod is a nuisance for them.
    An off camera microphone. The one thing that lets many armature videos down is the sound quality. Get either a good shotgun type mic or better still a wireless kit.
    A camera light, especially if you intend to use HDV or HD. At the lower level of equipment they do not perform very well in low lighting. You could get an LED type but I prefer halogen.
    Whichever you'll need batteries to power it.
    Ideally you should double up on all of the above.
    As for editing you'll need a reasonably recent computer spec. especially if you intend to shoot HDV (personally staring out I'd shoot standard MiniDV which is much easier to edit). I think most camcorders will come with some basic editing software, or at least something that will enable you to get your footage into the computer. You'll also need a DVD writing programme and if you intend to offer a professional product a programme that will let you author menus and chapters. And ideally a disc printer.
    All told for a minimum setup for good quality private work I'd think you'll need to lay out about $3-$5,000. For commercial business work double that at least.
    Have you already got a source of work or do you need to budget for promotion and advertising? That can be another substantial cost.

Good luck in your venture and be sure to let us know how things progress. You'll find lots of useful help and tips on forums like this.
    George.

thanks geokil..but u didnt talk on the laptop spec/type i should go for......hoping for ur quick response..thnaks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast