wailingalleycat

Violence in Films

This is for my media studies coursework, the question i chose to focus on is "Is Crime Romaticised in Films?"

I would like some opinions from joe public and industry professionals (you)

your input is greatly appreciated

Please answer these questions:

1. Do you think mainstream films accurately represent criminal activities and the consequences of doing it?

2. Do you think film makers have a moral responsibility for accurately representing crime and punishment?

3. Do you think films should be controlled or censored to discourage people from commiting crime.

4. Do you think the violent nature of many films influences the young people that watch them?

Thank you very much for your time.

-Paul

Blog Entries
    This is always a difficult topic. Having worked in both media production and psychology (I'm a psychiatric nurse) I can see both "sides" if this debate. I can understand why film producers feel they are unfairly blamed for society's woes, but I can also see how popular films really do have a real-world impact. I think film producers must accept that not everyone is psychologically healthy enough to separate fantasy from reality. It's not good enough to say "It's not my fault if some people get the wrong message".

On the other hand, to be fair, some people can take an obviously anti-violent film and perceive it as endorsing crime and/or violence. If someone is extremely mentally unwell, then there's not much film producers can do to stop them getting the wrong message.

On the whole my point of view is relatively conservative. Here are my answers:

1. Do you think mainstream films accurately represent criminal activities and the consequences of doing it?

Sometimes but not often.

2. Do you think film makers have a moral responsibility for accurately representing crime and punishment?

I think they have a responsibility not to misrepresent crime and punishment in such a way that it might influence people's understanding of the issues.

3. Do you think films should be controlled or censored to discourage people from committing crime?

Yes.

4. Do you think the violent nature of many films influences the young people that watch them?

Yes, without doubt.

That's my 5 cents anyway. Good luck with the assignment.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Blog Entries
    Quote: wailingalleycat

3. Do you think films should be controlled or censored to discourage people from commiting crime.

Thank you very much for your time.

-Paul
    Gee - my opinion... wish I had some but here it goes:

1 - Mainstream films? No because this is strictly entertainment for the masses.
    2 - It doesn't have to be accurate as long as it is fiction and doesn't parallel a current event.
    3 - When you say, "controlled or censored", I'm not sure at what level you are referring to. I believe viewership should be controlled via ratings (i.e. PG, PG-13, R, etc) to help give an understanding of what is depicted. Censorship should be made especially by a parent, when the viewer is their child. There should be no control or censor by the government.
    4 - I guess my previous answer also falls into place here because the young are at an influential stage of life.

OK... enough chit chat, pour me another one!
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

wailingalleycat

Censorship

Thanks guys,

Dave, you said that you think films should be censored and controlled. To what degree do you think this is necessary, after spending millions on a film production, perhaps thousands on one particular scene, would you be happy for that scene to be cut so little johnny doesnt get nightmares?

The filme Dirty Harry is an interesting one, as Harry, the cop, uses extreme violence to extract "statements" from criminals, what sort of message is this conveying to audience. Is violence the way to get what you want?

Blog Entries
    I think it would be in poor taste for a parent to allow their child(ren) to view a movie, such as Dirty Harry. An adult is another story - it's fiction plain and simple. How come the Dirty Harry book is not influential? (I know that seems like a stupid question). Whether it's Dirty Harry, Shaft, Dick Dastardly, the Borg or whichever character - I think it is the state of mind of the viewer that they are the type of person who is easily influenced; who is easily con-ed; who cannot say, "No" - I know I may be going off in a tangent, sorry.

Movies and shows (for the most part) are made for impact of emotions. The Director/Writer is trying to make you feel a certain way. Anything to get your adrenaline pumping from a sitting position; anything to make you think from a different angle; anything to give another point of view because he intentionally misled you (or didn't tell the whole story until the end).

And because this is entertainment, a movie (or collection of movies) cannot be the sole factor that changes a person to a violent personality (i.e. Jekyll and Hyde). This is the person that will buy the Brooklyn Bridge from a smooth talking salesman; This is the person who thinks they have the original reciept to Jesus's "Last Supper"; this is a person who'll give away their life savings so that the cult that they follow can bring them happiness.... this is a person short of a 6-pack. Have I gone too far yet? I'm exaggerating but trying to make a point .

These are they types that shouldn't watch these shows. When someone tries to make their life follow art, that's where the problem lies.

....IMHO

Last edited by SC358; 29th Jun 2005 at 21:24.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.