Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hi James

I have a very hybrid setup but the base sled and vest was from Flycam..the rest is highly modified. Just before you decide to get one think seriously as to whether you are buying one so you can just get cool shots and impress people or if you REALLY need one. I wanted to impress people for weddings but in practice you just don't have time to use the rig or it's not practical!!! I use it only for a video photoshoot of the couple nowdays. In the beginning I was using it for bridal arrival, the reception etc etc but the practicality soon wore off. I can get adequate shots nowdays on my shoulder and it's quicker and convenient!! So make sure that it will have a decent amount of usage before you buy one!!!

Chris

Blog Entries
    Lots of good advice in this thread and I don't think I have much to add, but I'll back up what Chris said about time equalling money. If you're not doing many shoots it's probably not an issue but I've found that moving to a tapeless system saves me a huge amount of time. Most noticeably, I can now do an evening shoot and as long as it's fairly straightforward, I can stay up late and have it edited by the next morning. Previously I had to spend the first few hours capturing before I could even start editing.

More importantly, I was starting to have tape dropout problems which are diabolical with HDV. I was getting dropout that lasted for several seconds, but if it was a very long shot (as it often is when shooting speeches etc) there would be a gaping hole in the vision and the audio would be out of synch for the rest of the shot. I'm very happy to put that issue behind me.

I have a cheap Steadytracker that is very nice to have but it is quite a hassle and most of the time it's not worth the effort for event coverage if I need to be working fast and flexible. When I first got it I occasionally tried to use it for entire shoots but that didn't work well at all, and taking the camera on and off the Steadytracker was impractical. I considered getting a custom-made plate that would work with both the tripod and Steadytracker but never got round to it. These days I tend to have a small second camera on the Steadytracker just in case I really want that type of shot.

None of this probably helps you at all
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12