Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Max

Animated Gif and Photoshop

How do you make an animated gif using Photoshop 7?

Thanks,
    Max

Blog Entries

Re: Animated Gif and Photoshop

Photoshop 7 comes with Adobe Image Ready - use that to create the animation (see the help file for more info). You can jump directly between Photoshop and Image Ready from the file menu.

EDIT (18th April 2005): We now have a tutorial available:
    How to create animated GIFs in Photoshop / ImageReady

vali

that was really helpful

anyone can look in the help menu, you didn't help at all, don't you see that he probably asked that question because he already looked in help and didn't find the solution to that problem.
    You've been a great help...

Blog Entries
    No, I don't see that. A lot of people ask the same question and have no idea that Photoshop doesn't do animated GIFs. It's quite common for people to sort it out for themselves once they realise this.

More to the point, exactly how helpful was your answer? I believe if you look at both our answers, mine told him what to do whereas yours provided no information at all.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. If you would like to provide some actual help instead of pointless criticism, feel free.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Blog Entries
    This morning someone posted a particularly stupid reply to this thread. I didn't publish the message because it was so childish but the person basically called me useless for pointing the OP to the help file instead of providing a detailed answer.

I would firstly like to reiterate that the ImageReady help file is actually very good and will tell you how to make an animation much better than I could do in a forum message. I think that in this case the best answer is to tell the OP which program to use, since that's where the confusion invariably lies with Photoshop animations. If the OP still has a problem they can ask and I'll do my best to help, but what would be the point in copying all the information from a help file if the OP didn't need it? Sorry, I've got better things to do with my time.

Secondly, it amazes me how many people like to post forum messages criticizing the help that someone else has offered, without offering any help of their own. Like "vali", the idiot who posted this morning's message also made absolutely no attempt to provide any help - all they did was tell me off for not providing enough help. I wonder if these people understand the concept of irony
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Jiv Tihor
    I guess the way someone can help over and above what the ImageReady help files tell is this:
    Many users (like me) have a set of few pictures and they want to create an animation that they can put on a website. Actually less an animation, more of a slide show.
    One option is to look for some software (including some freeware) that would do the job in three steps: include the pictures, set the timings, and save as an animated gif.
    Once in a while there would be a guy who would think that since he already has Photoshop, there must be a way to do it in Photoshop. Then they search Google and come across a forum like this (which has some provocative comments, but nothing much of use). Then they check the ImageReady help files and see the first comment as "In Photoshop, create an image you want to animate. Include a single layer for each static element. Create multiple layers for moving elements. ". Now how in the world is he supposed to know how to create single and multiple layers. Heck, what is a layer? I want a simple thing done. So if someone can tell me exactly what all menu items to click, I can do that step by step (as there are many forums/sites that provide similar kind of spoon-feeding for many things that can be done using Photoshop and other software).
    So as someone who thinks he or she is responsible and wants to have a feel-good-factor of administrating a web-forum on a particular topic, I think he or she should understand where users come from, and help accordingly. Otherwise, well, Google or Yahoo would provide many other forums where the threads would be much longer and useful.
    End result, the threads in forums like these would not end abruptly and bitterly like this one did! (and it would help save time of people like me wasting my time in here like this!)
    Thanks!

Blog Entries
    I think if you look around the forums here you'll see that I make a solid regular effort to help people and provide a lot of information. Not so much in the graphics forum because it's not as busy and it's not my main area of expertise, but I think overall my record speaks for itself.

As far as this thread goes it is a bit of an anomaly and maybe I should delete it, except that I think there's an important issue here. I spend hours every day doing things to help other people without charging them a cent. It's just a little bit frustrating when I get nasty replies telling me that I'm not doing a good enough job.

I gave the OP what I thought was an appropriately brief answer to a brief question. Like I said, most people find their own way once they realise that they need to be in ImageReady instead of Photoshop. For this reason I genuinely thought that my answer was the right one. If the OP had any further problems or asked for more details I would have been more than happy to do my best.

Jiv, I hear what you're saying about seeing things from a visitor's point of view. For that very reason it's important for visitors to provide enough information for us to understand what their point of view is. For example, it wouldn't occur to me that someone with Photoshop wouldn't know how to use layers. You ask "how in the world is he supposed to know how to create single and multiple layers?" My answer is "How in the world am I supposed to know that someone who owns Photoshop doesn't know how to use layers?". It's like someone asking for driving directions to the next town, but neglecting to tell me they don't know how to use the steering wheel in their car. I don't mind teaching driving, but I'm not a mind-reader and I wouldn't think to offer driving lessons when someone has only asked for directions.

Anyway Jiv, I'm still not clear about whether you are asking for help or whether you just wanted to stick the boot in and then leave. If you want to know how to make a slideshow using ImageReady, let me know and I'll do my best to provide step-by-step instructions. Honestly, I'm quite happy to do that if I know that's what you want.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Jiv Tihor
    Thanks for your response. I totally understand and appreciate your point of view. Thanks for all the help you are providing.
    As far as I am considered, I figured out how to do it. Guess it was simple 5-6 steps. But yes, you are right. Users should tell their expertise level and their expectation before hand.
    Anyways, thanks much.

Kris

Happy Camper

Hey there - I just wanted to chip in that I did a Google search and came across this site; I had the same question regarding animated gifs and actually think I got enough info! I really want to say that I think this is a FANTASTIC site overall - great work. Thank you.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the comments. I've been thinking about this thread and maybe there is enough demand to warrant a step-by-step tutorial on making simple animations. I've put it on my to-do list.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast