New member with some basics to ask for in equipment

I will take the this next year of unemployment to begin to build a business.

I will interview elderly folks in retirement homes. They will speak to those family members that may be out of state. Email interview to family members will be easy. Making it available on a restricted access website would be the goal. Funds are limited.
    1. Moderately price card system Video/camera. I will take on ideas to research equipment.

2. Editing to provide graphics. Nothing on the entry level but moderately.

3. Are DSLR cameras good for this kind of setting use? 30 minute interviews will be the norm.

Thanks for any time to offer imput

Hi Joe
    My buddy Earl runs a national-wide site called "videostorytellers" It would be worth seeing what they use for doing old folks videos. I'm a Panasonic guy so I would look at something small like the TM700 but also add a lapel mic to the interviewee!! You could probably get away with using Windows MovieMaker which is free or if you want good value try Sony Vegas Movie Studio (I use Vegas Pro but MS is also great) Bear in mind that Canon DSLR's have a video record limit of 12 minutes before they overheat and have no autofocus!! The Lumix GH1 or GH2 are probably better and also have auto focus and can be found for around $750 at the moment in the USA (my other buddy Chip has a bunch of them and they do nice video!!!)
    Chris

This is an old thread, but since many people will have the same typical need to record potentially meandering video subjects, let me underscore the point Chris made above that DSLRs are probably not the best cameras for recording long events. Go with a traditional video camera and get one with XLR audio inputs.

Allan Barnwell

Blog Entries
    Quote: Allan Barnwell
    View Post
    ...DSLRs are probably not the best cameras for recording long events.
    Hi Allan, I'm curious as to why you think/feel they are not good for long recordings. Could you expand on your reason?

Thanks!
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

I was referencing Chris' observation above about the 12 minute record limitation on the Canon. Also - I'm not aware of any DSLRs that have multiple card slots to allow continuous recording to flash media (though I may be unaware of something new).

There are also challenges in using the output to go to external recorders like NanoFlash and Ki Pro's. Often, the video output is not a broadcast signal, but a lower resolution preview signal. But this will vary depending on the model and manufacturer. It is a specific area that the new Panasonic AF100 and Sony FS100 are bridging the gap between DSLR and traditional video camcorders.

Your thoughts? From reading some of your posts, it looks like you are quite proficient with shooting video on DSLRs. Have you shot with an AF100 or similar large image sensor cinema-style camcorder yet?

Allan Barnwell

Blog Entries
    Actually, I was planning on doing some test with a variety of video cameras including dslr's- probably around Sept/Oct. My company is looking to replace an older JVC HDVcam that's used for our green screen insert studio. Which also means I get to pick out some new test charts as well. And just for the fun of it, use my iPad with various studio apps.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Nice! Have you seen my recent iPad post over in the lobby section? Be sure to throw in some of your favorite uses and apps.