3-point lighting changeup

When I learned lighting I was told to keep the fill light as close to on-axis to the camera as physically possible. Nowdays I see instructions to set the fill at 45-degrees off-axis. In practice this tends to give cross shadows. I have used the on-axis method in stills and videos for a long time and get good results. Are the current instructions leading newbies down the wrong lighting path? I'm curious to hear what folks out there have used and/or are experiencing.

Blog Entries
    Hi jimbo-pix -

I was taught the 45 degree style in photography and then it was re-enforced when I was filmmaking. This concept creates a more dramatic image(s). You can also do straight on, flat, no shadows, if that's what you want your image to look like - they do that in news casting.

Always feel free to experiment with light and you'll see how much reaction you get out of it.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Lighting is key to any video shoot. 3-point lighting is the basic and it's mainly to make you understand and realize how a subject in front of a camera should be light in order to get a nice and clear view of that subject. (Am sure if cameras could see four angles of the subject, the 3-point lighting rule was going to be 4-point lighting rule).

Once you understand how that concept works, you are free to change or simply to apply what works for you. But remember, key to any shoot is to understand the concept of the shoot and provide the technical solution that suites the shoot.

So, feel free to break those rules as much as you want, as long as you provide what is expected and acceptable.