How to properly use subouts on mixer

I am a growing sound-man who didn't up until now ever really use subouts, because I didn't have enough equipment yet. But now I'm ready to start using sub-outs. I want to understand that if I hook up my dbx driverack through my sub-outputs to put on the sub-outs 1 and 2 just for my mics only to tighten-up my mics. Does the driverack have to have my power amp hooked up to it like you do on main-outs for it to work or not, and what is the right way to do this. I currently have my dbx driverack on the main-outs for everything and it sounds pretty good. But now I want to use my dbx driverack for the subouts 1 and 2 for my mics only, and put my compressor and eq on my mains. I don't always need my crossover on my mains because the small place I'm doing sound in doesn't need a crossover or subs.

The Driverack unit is a loudspeaker processor, it is not designed to be an effect unit like other units out there. It has processing for the drive-rack (Typically the drive rack is the large rack that houses the EQ's, COmpressors, Crossovers, etc that would be the last things in line before the power amps in a sound system, only the dBX unit has them all in digital form in one rack unit, thus the name, driverack PA)..

It should be used on the main outputs. You'll need to get a different unit for an effects processor to use on the other outputs. I am a little confused by your terminology. sub outputs could be a variety of things, are they labeled 'Aux' outputs, or are you talking about a Sub output on the main section? Are you looking to use sub-groups and utilize the outputs form the dub-group?

It may be helpful to know what mixer you have, and any other equipment that you are using with it to better assist you.

Sub Outs

I agree with BassRed about the dbx. Ultimately that unit should be in your signal flow between your mixer and your monitors.

As for proper usage for sub outs, you can use them for whatever you want, a sub out is just an output from your console. Typically assigned right next to the fader, simply select which bus you want to use, Odd/Even panning applies. From using them in the music world to have a second set of monitors for, an AB monitor system, or sending a signal out of your console to a hardware processing chain and returning into another channel on your console. The list can go on and on until they stop making new audio gear.

I was talking about subgroups

Quote: Bassred
    View Post
    The Driverack unit is a loudspeaker processor, it is not designed to be an effect unit like other units out there. It has processing for the drive-rack (Typically the drive rack is the large rack that houses the EQ's, COmpressors, Crossovers, etc that would be the last things in line before the power amps in a sound system, only the dBX unit has them all in digital form in one rack unit, thus the name, driverack PA)..

It should be used on the main outputs. You'll need to get a different unit for an effects processor to use on the other outputs. I am a little confused by your terminology. sub outputs could be a variety of things, are they labeled 'Aux' outputs, or are you talking about a Sub output on the main section? Are you looking to use sub-groups and utilize the outputs form the dub-group?

It may be helpful to know what mixer you have, and any other equipment that you are using with it to better assist you.
    I have the Eurodesk or Behringer 2442A mixer, with two EV eliminator speakers and the driverack between my mixer and crown CE 2000 amp by itself. My 4 subout sockets are on the mixer to the left side of the main outputs, just right of the aux sends, it says subout, and sits right next to 4 subinsert sockets. I'm not quite sure for all the reasons or all the ways you can use these suboutputs or subinserts. I guess my question was can you use these with the subgroups on certain channels like subgroups 1-2 for say just mics only. Or to simply put it, what's the best way to eq and compress my mics only--seperate from the main mix.

Yes, yes you can. You can assign all inputs needing processing to subs 1/2 and not main-mix (pan left goes to sub 1, pan right to sub 2), send sub 1/2 out to a processor, return that processor to an input that goes to either sub 3/4 or directly to main mix (depending on your set-up). Also note that since sub 1/2 can operate in tandem or separately, you could use up to 4 subs if you don't need to split pan any sources (all mono).
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

Quote: djtony
    View Post
    I have the Eurodesk or Behringer 2442A mixer, with two EV eliminator speakers and the driverack between my mixer and crown CE 2000 amp by itself. My 4 subout sockets are on the mixer to the left side of the main outputs, just right of the aux sends, it says subout, and sits right next to 4 subinsert sockets. I'm not quite sure for all the reasons or all the ways you can use these suboutputs or subinserts. I guess my question was can you use these with the subgroups on certain channels like subgroups 1-2 for say just mics only. Or to simply put it, what's the best way to eq and compress my mics only--seperate from the main mix.
    OK. sub groups. the four faders beside the main fader, each one is for a sub group. as described above, you can use the groups. I feel that the description posted was quite wrong, though.

Yes, yes you can. You can assign all inputs needing processing to subs 1/2 and not main-mix (pan left goes to sub 1, pan right to sub 2), send sub 1/2 out to a processor, return that processor to an input that goes to either sub 3/4 or directly to main mix (depending on your set-up). Also note that since sub 1/2 can operate in tandem or separately, you could use up to 4 subs if you don't need to split pan any sources (all mono).

This is very backwards, uses far too many inputs and leaves only the chance for more things to go wrong....and would cause more trouble than help.

Simply assign all of the vocals to a group (Pan them all the way to the left and select the group 1/2 button and unselect the L/R button. this will send them to the "Group 1" fader and not to the main mix, just yet... ) Then, using a proper insert cable inserted into the "group 1 insert" take the signal from that group to and back in from an effect unit.

An insert cable (in this case, a single-point insert) is like *in a very broad way* a headphone cable... Imagine a long Y type cable... in that on one end is a TRS (Tip-Ring-Sleeve) plug which has two hot connections and a common ground connection, the two sides of the "Y'd" end each carry one of the hot signals and the ground. One side is plugged into the "input" on the FX unit, to take the signal into the FX unit, and the other side is plugged into the "output" of the fx unit to bring the signal right back to the same jack on the board. so this way, the signal is taken from and returned to the same jack on the board...

Inserting an FX unit to a group is not the usual way to do FX. Compression and EQ's are more commonly used on groups. FX like reverb, etc should be patched in the normal manner.
    In your case, you want to tighten the vox up, which sounds like you'd need compression. Use it carefully, it is far too often misused and as such can be detrimental to the overall sound.

Now the Group 1 section. assign the group to L/R and leave the pan centered. this will send the signal from the group 1 fader to the main mix, complete with processing (Compression/EQ/whatever you put in line).

I hope this was easy enough to understand.

Quote: Bassred
    View Post
    OK. sub groups. the four faders beside the main fader, each one is for a sub group. as described above, you can use the groups. I feel that the description posted was quite wrong, though.

This is very backwards, uses far too many inputs and leaves only the chance for more things to go wrong....and would cause more trouble than help.
    I'm sorry, I work in a stereo (at minimum) world. Mono processing does not need 1/2 and 3/4 ganged.
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

Quote: tonsofpcs
    View Post
    I'm sorry, I work in a stereo (at minimum) world. Mono processing does not need 1/2 and 3/4 ganged.
    Most small-medium PA use doesn't really benefit from stereo processing. Even up to the bigger rigs we used to send out, most FX/inserts were mono.

Unless an artist has it in their rider, I run my FX in mono. at the very least, I have FX for them and can give them what they want. in some cases, they do not even specify # of channels or mixes, so most bands understand that they'll get what I've got.

For the case of the original post, this person is certainly new to all of this, and it is more simple to explain how the groups work in mono, then if they want to mess around with ganging them for stereo uses, they at least know how to use the groups individually.

hey tonsofpcs. i also have the behringer x2442 but i want to put a compressor to work over all meaning i want my compresstion to compress wa comes out the monitors and the main not only main.. i know mackie cr 1604 have BUS INSERTS where EF or compre can be added and works to all out puts but how can i do this with this mixer b.c it dont have BUS INSERTS...???