Advice on camera angles/filming style?

I recently put this video together and wanted to get some pointer on how to choose better angles and shots. I'm sure the Windows Movie Maker blue backgrounds for titles are pretty bland, which is why I am looking around for a better editting program.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F65KtMkL-BY

I do watch other biking vids out there, but I wanted to get any advice on camera angles/shots/effects from more experienced people in video in this forum. Thanks!

Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar
    First off - excellent video, you are obviously extremely talented at riding bikes!

Now, the video itself is pretty good, in terms of mainly stable shots, and the audio isn't too bad - a lot of people fall at this hurdle (including myself a lot of the time!). Things you could do to improve the video, are perhaps to place the camera in other positions, such as under where you will be going (well, just slightly out of the way if you aren't confident you'll make the move and end up smashing onto your camera...), ahead of where you are going, and even perhaps try mounting it on the bike itself. At the moment, the video is made up of a lot of static, side-on shots, from right to left and vice versa. Getting a few more angles, like you mentioned, will make the video more 'alive'.

Next is audio - I'm sure you can hear the wind yourself when you watched it back. Simplest way to sort this is to not film on a windy day. Whilst cheap and cheerful, it isn't the easiest thing to 'use', since you may only have a couple of days to film. So, if your microphone is an external 'shotgun' type one, then you can get a windsock. These are relatively inexpensive for the beginner end ones, and they'll cut out the worst of the wind. You could also try placing the camera directly away from the wind, which will stop the air going straight into the mic itself.

These are just little tips, but I know others will comment with their more advanced ones.

Keep up the good work :-)

James

Thanks man, that is awesome advice. I had no idea there was a such product to cut out wind! Would it be possible to cheap out and wrap a sock around the mic?

I'll take in consideration all these ideas, they are what I was looking for!

Quote: lake54
    View Post
    First off - excellent video, you are obviously extremely talented at riding bikes!

Now, the video itself is pretty good, in terms of mainly stable shots, and the audio isn't too bad - a lot of people fall at this hurdle (including myself a lot of the time!). Things you could do to improve the video, are perhaps to place the camera in other positions, such as under where you will be going (well, just slightly out of the way if you aren't confident you'll make the move and end up smashing onto your camera...), ahead of where you are going, and even perhaps try mounting it on the bike itself. At the moment, the video is made up of a lot of static, side-on shots, from right to left and vice versa. Getting a few more angles, like you mentioned, will make the video more 'alive'.

Next is audio - I'm sure you can hear the wind yourself when you watched it back. Simplest way to sort this is to not film on a windy day. Whilst cheap and cheerful, it isn't the easiest thing to 'use', since you may only have a couple of days to film. So, if your microphone is an external 'shotgun' type one, then you can get a windsock. These are relatively inexpensive for the beginner end ones, and they'll cut out the worst of the wind. You could also try placing the camera directly away from the wind, which will stop the air going straight into the mic itself.

These are just little tips, but I know others will comment with their more advanced ones.

Keep up the good work :-)

James

Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar
    Absolutely, you could simply use a normal sock, although of course the quality might be decreased slightly.

Have a look at these mini windjammers from Rycote:

http://www.rycote.com/products/mini_windjammer/

These slide over the actual microphone on the camera. I haven't used these myself, but I know that my own Rycote windsock works wonders, so it'll certainly help reduce the bulk of the wind.

Hi

I think your stunts are amazing. Things I think you could do to enhance content of your video are:

* Having more locations like a great landscape or mountain background, interesting urban background or a skate park etc
    * Different angles including close up lower angled shots where the camera is placed on the floor etc
    * You could make a shot look more interesting by shooting it through some foliage

As its an action based film I think your edit could be improved by:

* Speeding up and slowing down some of the clips
    * Edit it more aggressively i.e. shorter clips making it a faster paced/action feel

Here is a link to a mountain bike video with some good examples of different shots (I'm not sure if I can post this link as I'm a newbie)
    http://www.mtbmovies.com/movies.php?id=369

The main thing I think would change your video dramatically is your choice of music. I think the track you have chosen is quite calming but if you watch your video with the above links music playing in the background it changes the dimension of your video and I think gives it more of an action feel. It's only my oppinion though, good luck with your videos