Help! (Demo Advice Reely Needed)

Ok, so I'm applying for editing positions and I want to know if my demo reel is up to par. I have been working on one project for the past two years and decided to use just my footage from that. Please give comments, advice, etc.

http://vimeo.com/20314062

thanks!
    ~K

Blog Entries
    Welcome to MC Angleum,

Great video shots. As a demo, I don't think the music is appropriate, although I like the song. Audio has it's own impact to the visual which can provide unity with different shots. In this case, I feel any connection between the two.

I hope you could find the right music to give continuity to your theme.

As a suggestion, you may want to add yourself to the demo reel, telling a little bit more about yourself and/or your work. It's something to think about but I must add as precautionary, know your audience.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Thanks for the welcome! I shoul have mentioned that my song choice is due to a quote from king Abdullah of Jordan that says Jordan is between Iraq and I hard place... I also wanted the reel to have s'more upbeat feel that was unique whereas I could have used stock middle eastern music. I don't know if my rational changes your opinion any... What do you mean also by put more o myself in it?

Blog Entries
    Ok, I get the meaning of your music and I understand what you mean. Now based on your explanation, if you gave your demo to 100 prospective employers, would they need to know that information before hand or would you leave it to them to figure it out? How many of them would have the same feeling I did? The thing for me is, I like the music anyway but I don't associate the music with the visual because my own past and experiences comes up immediately when I hear the music. So if you used unknown and/or original music, there's no other association except with your visuals.

In answer to your question, my idea was in the beginning of your demo, you would be talking to the prospective recruiter/employer in the video. Not only introducing yourself but maybe explaining a bit of your demo. It would be like a news caster introducing the next story but it would be you.

I added the precautionary because at the same time, you want to be judge upon your work. You don't want your work to be judged on your looks before your demo goes on, this is why nobody attaches their picture to a resume.

SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Hi Angleum,

I agree with SC358 about the music. Although its a great song and is popular in itself its also synonymous with the gangster film Reservoir Dogs and a rather gruesome scene. You have some very good shots though. Good luck with your promo.

One more here about the music. If you sent that to me for review i have to be honest with that song i would be looking for movie quality editing and it is just not there. The editing does not match the music, and tho the shots are impressive, if you are applying for an editors gig, you will need to tighten them up, and make them more relevant to each other. i also would throw some edits of voice in there if you have them to show that you can not only cut edit video, but mach up scenes. You also may want to throw in some softer edits in there, maybe change the music 1/2 way through to something a bit more soft and edit with that feel. Also i would put your contact info at the beginning and the end. Remember that demos can be up to 2 min long with out being "over long" so take a few seconds to sell your information. I am sorry if you think that this review is too hard, but i like to be honest on this forum in order to help people get where they want to go.
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!