Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Phil

User Manual for Canon PowerShot S2 IS

This is available on the PowerShot website but has COPY printed right across every page. Does anyone know if this is available as pdf without "copy" printed all over it. I want to print it as A4 so it's EASIER to read than the tiny A?6 thing that comes with the camera!

Blog Entries
    Sorry, it seems that the only pdf file available has that "Copy" watermark. My only suggestion involves a fair bit of work and no guarantees...

To make it more readable you could try increasing the contrast to make the watermark fade away and emphasize the text. Unfortunately you can't import the file into Photoshop because it's password protected, but you could do a Printscreen to capture each page one at a time. Adjust the brightness/contrast to see if you can get it looking better, then print it.

Another option might be to adjust the printer settings to get the same effect.

As I say, not a particularly good solution but the best I can think of. Shame they couldn't have eased up on the watermark a little bit to make it more legible.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Phil

Thanks Dave

We discovered it was password protected when we had a go at it today. Thanks for the print screen and contrast ideas though I might be as quick ripping out the pages and scanning the supplied miniature manual (not that I ever would do such an illicit act!)

ShortSharpPain

Canon PS - S2 iS manual

Phil, can you please give the link where you have downloaded the pdf. I am not able find the manual any where.
    Thanks

Word Version

This is a bit complicated but may be worth the wait. I'm an IT professional but on real computers, not PCs or Windoze. I am currently researching a digital stills camera to buy and I'm very tempted by the Canon S2. I have found a web site that will sell me one for Eur 505 + Eur 13 postage and packing. The drawback is that it comes with a French user manual.

I have decided to create my own manual from the download at canon-asia and, if successful, I will buy the camera.

Now (and this is the weird bit), I have somehow managed to break the password on the pdf file using one on the many cracks on the web. I just don't know which one (I told you I wasn't a PC/Windoze expert!).

I am currently in the process of using SolidConverter to convert 10 pages at a time into Word. I have done 20 pages so far and, when I "cut" the COPY image from each page, the text and graphics appear, so far, to be intact.

This is not a perfect conversion but I have got as far as page 14 of the manual (page 16 on the pdf viewer) which has the operation panel graphic on it. The graphic is of very good quality but one or two of the labels are misaligned.

I want this manual to be "perfect" so I will be performing extensive editing on it to generate a perfect manual in "book" form of the correct size (by the way, Phil, the page size in Word is 10.51 X 14.81 cm).

If you look at page 15 (pdf page 17), you will see the mode dial. This prints fine, as is, but is made up of about 10,000 auto shapes! Anyway, when you use the Word Select Objects tool, select the whole lot and group them, the resulting graphic does not distort when it is enlarged (there's one of those PC world words to describe this but I can never remember it). That means it should be OK to convert to A4 (but I'm not going to do that!).

Now, that means that I can help you, I think.

The first thing I will do is convert all pages to Word and remove COPY from every page.

Next, I will check each page and reformat to the original (e.g. underlining text rather than having a "line draw" line running through the text, realigning drawing lebels, etc.).

I will then re-format to two-up pages in the correct order to print as a book at the original size.

I do actually have a life so this will take me some days to do.

Let me know at which stage you want it and I'll get it to you somehow (if it was me, I'd be too worried about spam and viruses to give my real e-mail address, but I use ChoiceMail so I can set up virtual addresses that allow attachments).

Hope that's OK.

Jon

Scaleable

Jut remembered, it's "scalable".

Hi Hax4s. It's at http://www.canon-asia.com/index.jsp?...t&prod_type=dc (follow links for manual).

If you want mine without the password, tell me how to get it to you. Also, you're welcome to my efforts, for what they are worth, as described above.

Why do Canon do this? Only people with the camera or who are going to buy the camera would have any interest in this.

Jon

Blog Entries
    Good effort there Jon and thanks for offering to share the manual.

I have no idea why Canon does this, it just doesn't seem to make sense to annoy their customers in this way. As you say, people have already spent the money on a camera - would it hurt to give them a decent manual? After all they are giving away the manual for free anyway - what difference would it make to remove the stupid watermark and make it readable?
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Thanks a lot Jon

I now got hold of the manual. The reason behind was, I am from India. I am planning to buy the camera through a friend who is coming from Japan. As it is much cheeper there. But he was not able to get English manual for it. So, I was checking out for it in the net.

After checking the manuals for s2, I am able to see that the CD they give is really good. I have managed to download the Zoombrowser 5.0.2. It looks good, but not yet used it. Need the camera for that Just now I have started to search for PhotoStitch, which I believe should be a very useful tool for this camera. If any one of you know, where these softwares can be downloaded, please do reply with the info.

Canon PhotoRecord ---- Layout printing software
    Canon Utilities PhotoStitch ---- Panorama image composition software
    ArcSoft PhotoImpression ---- Image editing software
    ArcSoft VideoImpression ---- Movie editing software

Hi,

Well, the deed is done. I ordered the S2 from pixmania in Europe at 3:00am this morning, after struggling to justify the money when I have a perfectly good, 19 year-old, Miniolta X-300 35mm stills camera with a 50mm lens and a 70mm - 210mm zoom lens.

I ordered the camera (Eur 505.00) as well as a 66X speed 1GB SD card, 8 2500mAh NiMH batteries and a fast charger (2.5 hours) for Eur 684.00, including postage and packing. I hope it lasts as long as the Minolta.

The camera alone is Eur 689.00 where I live.

Work on the manual continues apace (in spite of a lack of sleep caused by my 18 year-old son crashing our car into a granite fence support at 5:00am today). I have converted it all into a Microsnot Word document, without "COPY" on every page.

I'm now going to convert this document into one that is properly formatted, that is to say identical to the original pdf file. I'll follow that by creating a version that will allow me to print it as a book with duplex printing, etc. All this will be at A6 size.

I can create a pdf at any stage but I see Phil was looking for A4. I'm not sure what would be around to do that.

With respect to the software, according to Canon UK (http://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/prod...ex.asp?specs=1)

the following software is included on the CD that comes with the camera:

Browsing & Printing ZoomBrowser EX (PhotoRecord) / ImageBrowser
    Other PhotoStitch, RemoteCapture

Drivers TWAIN (Windows 98 / 2000), WIA (Windows Me

Image Manipulation
    ArcSoft PhotoStudio

Hax4s, might it not be the case that the software that you are looking for has been superseded by software that is included with the S2? Does anyone know?

Having never heard of it before, I had a look at a PhotoStitch sample on http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/psa75/sy...-e.html#stitch. It's brilliant! I really hadn't thought of doing that. It's something that you sometimes do with a 35mm film camera but never quite get round to getting processed. Also, with digital imaging, you'll never see the joins.

I can't wait to get this camera.

If anyone wants me to mail them the Word documents or password-free pdf file, mail me at filmfan.beeblebrox@choicemail1.com. It's a virtual address on ChoiceMail One so I'm quite happy to publish it. I can just kill it if it starts getting spam.

Jon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast