Dror

3 Points Lighting

I red many article and tutorials about 3 point lighting, but it seems that no one mentioned the wattage of each one of the point.
    Me my self, interested in videotape biography (indoor interviews). Do you have any recommendation?

P.s.
    I have to admit that I have been surfing the Internet for some quite time now and this website is one of the most informative video editing website I have ever seen.

Blog Entries
    Wow.... your right! That's something usually overlooked by many with exception of those who do lighting and electricians. I'm sorry I don't have any recommendations but only suggestions and obvious key points.

Key point:
    1 - Obviously, the more wattage, the more brighter. Consider how far away your subjects will be from a light source. Also, consider how wide of a shot will be used so that there is a strong enough source that's not in the picture. To fill a room, would need more lighting than a couple at a table in a corner of the same room.
    2 - Once you know your total power (wattage), you'll have to calculate how many amps that adds up to and how many circuit breakers you'll need OR you put each light on it's own circuit breaker rated at the correct amperage. Basic math - Volts(V) x Amps(A) = Watts(W) OR W / V = A. Volts refers to the electrical power that your are using 120V or 220V.

If this is too much to consider - shoot outdoors ....

My suggestion is to look at light kits for doing interviews. They can be expensive if you want all the bells and whistles to go with it but sometimes they are worth it.

I hope someone else can give the recommendations you need.

SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Peter Drought

Senior Cameraman, ABC TV Australia.

My advise on 3-point lighting is simple.

Keep all your lights down to about 500w. With cameras these days you dont need anything more(proffessional or domestic). To have more adds loads to the source, but in my time I have never blown a household fuse unless I had a faulty light or the house or office was old and badly wired.

Check all your lights, leads, switches, cables are all in good order. If you are setting up in someones home, you are responsible.

Best bet, get a power board that has a safety switch built in. This protects you and others. It will also prevent any damage to equipment and the household. Make sure all your equipment runs through this.

Otherwise, if your lights are to bright, back them off or use spun or frost to cut them down. You can also buy dimmers that you can add to your kit.