Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar

Sony HD1000 not reading data from tapes.

I recorded an event yesterday, about 20-25 minutes long on an already used tape, and captured about 10-15 minutes worth of it yesterday (I did it in chunks rather than the whole tape).

As I was prepping for the next section, I noticed Premiere Pro wasn't able to seek to the correct timecode - say it was set for 00:18:30:00, it would rewind all the way to 00:18:00:00 then to 00:18:45:00 and either carry on seeking, or stop altogether. Since I assumed this was just a glitch, I unplugged the camera, switched it off and on again, and reconnected. Same thing. I now noticed that the camera itself wasn't showing me any footage from the tape. Tried restarting Premiere Pro, same thing. Tried restarting everything, still the same. Left the battery and tape out of the camera overnight - same thing.

So at the moment, my camera will not 'read' any tapes - I checked by trying to view another tape that I used fairly recently, and the screen on the camera is just blue - i.e. no data/signal.

I have looked in the manual and can't find anything like this problem. I wondered if any of you had had this issue before?

Sony HD1000E
    Sony HDV tapes recorded onto with 1080i format
    Adobe Premiere Pro CS4

I've got a warranty still valid on the camera, but I'm hoping I don't have to send it off for it to be fixed if it's going to be simple.

Thanks,

James

Just did a bit more searching today and it appears as though it could be due to the tracking mechanism becoming misaligned. Sigh. I have no experience with fixing this sort of thing, and I can't think of anyone that might do. I guess it's a repair centre job under warranty (lucky in a way). At least it gives me a chance to have it serviced too.

One question about extended service warranties - can you send your camera in once in a while for a quick check-up, or is it purely for repairs only? I can post the T&Cs if needed, but just in general I was wondering how people get their cameras serviced.

Sony HD1000

The camera is a cheap model and you get what you pay for. Buy a Sony V1 or better still an Nx5
    I had one and the best thing I did was get rid of it.

Hi James

That isn't terribly helpful I'm afraid. Yes, I wish I had a better camera, but there will always be something better, newer, or more powerful than what I have. I have to make do with what I have, and I do like the HD1000. It's not the best out there, it's an entry level model - I never expected it to produce the best images. However, I did expect the tape track to last a little longer than this (about a year)

James

Blog Entries
    Hi James -
    Extended warranties vary in the consumer world because they are 3rd party agreements but for repairs/replacements only. Some manufacturers have maintenance programs which you pay at different levels (or tiers) for the different types of maintenance and you deal with them only. However, I've really only seen this at the Pro-sumer and Broadcast levels, not for standard consumer equipment. Even to have a piece of equipment checked out once per year, cleaned, lubricated and re-calibrated is no longer a free ride as it was before.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.