I need assistance with possible rendering problem

Hello, all.
    I am a stumped by a little problem that has put a halt on my video transfer of my home movies. I have done some simple video transfer in the past so I have a good idea about what I want to do and what software features I look for to perform those tasks. I am a bit of a neophyte to the higher end video editing software out there, so I need expert assistance to help trouble shoot (if possible).

Basically, I have already converted my home VHS-C videos to MPEG using a Plextor ConvertX PX-M402U. The conversion is pretty good, considering the source. The MPEG's play back, clean (i.e., exactly like the VHS quality), on Windows Media Player. I am using Premier Elements 9 to cut out unwanted and poor quality segments, then transferring the "chapters" onto DVD. However, upon playback of either DVD or the software’s viewer, I have noticed a great deal of mosaic type imaging, depending upon the lighting, color, or close-ups of the particular scenes. By mosaic, I mean defined vertical and horizontal lines and “saw-toothed” diagonals where there were once fairly cleaned edges. The actual mosaic “squares” that were produced have really distorted an acceptably good MPEG video. Focus of the original image has been blurred in some scenes as well.

I am using a Samsung Q430 laptop with 4 gig RAM and 2.4 gig processor. The video card is an Nvidia GEForce 310M with dedicated 512 MB RAM and 2.234 GB shared. My concern about this problem is based upon the encoding or rendering properties of the software, not so much the hardware.

My quest for answers can take multiple tangents. Is this really a software issue? Is Elements trying to convert an MPEG into another MPEG before it renders the images to a DVD? If so, why would the software take a good MPEG image and attempt to do some self-editing to clean up the original or something like to that effect? Can this be corrected by a simple setting somewhere? If so, then are there other programs out there that can do a much better job of encoding original images with minimal distortion and loss of quality? If, not, is there a program that I can use to perform basic editing of the original MPEGs and simply burn them directly to DVD as they are, without going through the whole effects and themes menu gauntlet? Or, is this mosaic distortion problem just something I will have to ultimately live with, if I want to store my family memories for the long term?

Thanks for reading this thread. I appreciate any help or advice you folks can give.

Blog Entries
    I agree that it's a software issue and not related to your hardware.

Do you know what type of MPEG the Plextor ConvertX produced? My understanding is that it outputs MPEG-4, whereas DVD will require MPEG-2. I'd say there's a good chance you're double-encoding which is not ideal.

Even if you start with MPEG-2 you may find that Adobe Elements is re-encoding to fit the material on a DVD. How much footage are you trying to fit on a single DVD? If it's too much, Premiere Elements will reduce the quality to fit. Make sure you're not trying to fit more than about 90 minutes of video per DVD.

Personally I've found the best general-purpose format for converting VHS is to capture it as DV. From there it seems to re-encode as MPEG-2 and other formats pretty well. If you're able to try again with your original footage it could be worth a shot. I use an old Panasonic DV camcorder to do the converting (it needs to be able to accept analog video in and simultaneously output DV via Firewire).

Apart from that, all I can suggest is that you go through all your settings as thoroughly as possible and look for any encoding settings. As far as possible, make sure you're not re-encoding or reducing quality at any stage.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Thanks for the reply.

Hi, Dave. Thanks for the reply. Sorry for not responding sooner. I work away from home and have been preoccupied for the last few weeks. For clarification, my responses are italicized below the pertinent sections of your message:

I agree that it's a software issue and not related to your hardware.

Do you know what type of MPEG the Plextor ConvertX produced? My understanding is that it outputs MPEG-4, whereas DVD will require MPEG-2. I'd say there's a good chance you're double-encoding which is not ideal.
    No, I’m not sure of the MPEG conversion setting when I transferred the movies. It could possibly have been MPEG-4. How do I confirm the type of my captured MPEGs on my computer, now? Even if you start with MPEG-2 you may find that Adobe Elements is re-encoding to fit the material on a DVD. How much footage are you trying to fit on a single DVD? If it's too much, Premiere Elements will reduce the quality to fit. Make sure you're not trying to fit more than about 90 minutes of video per DVD.
    I’m only transferring about 58 minutes of actual footage per DVD. I’m only using the single layer DVD, not the DVD-9. There should have been no compression, unless there is a default setting in Elements that I have overlooked. I can review the settings to confirm. Personally I've found the best general-purpose format for converting VHS is to capture it as DV. From there it seems to re-encode as MPEG-2 and other formats pretty well. Do you mean the Elements will encode the DV into MPEG-2 during the rendering process? If you're able to try again with your original footage it could be worth a shot. I can, but it will be a few months, as I am working away from home until mid-summer. I use an old Panasonic DV camcorder to do the converting (it needs to be able to accept analog video in and simultaneously output DV via Firewire). I used the JVC camcorder that originally recorded the tapes, connected to the Plextor, but it was using S-video input then the Plextor outputs to the PC using USB. There is no 1394 FireWire port to connect with. Is this a real problem because the converted video is in fine quality, for a VHS anyway?
    Apart from that, all I can suggest is that you go through all your settings as thoroughly as possible and look for any encoding settings. As far as possible, make sure you're not re-encoding or reducing quality at any stage.
    Like I said, Elements is new to me, so I am not sure as to which settings (if any) could be causing the problems. From my initial review, nothing “seems” to be setup that could cause a duplicate encoding problem. Any suggestions what to look for?

Thanks!
    D Pickens