How do I connect my Canon XL1 to a computer?

Hello,
    I have a Canon XL1 and I was wondering how do I connect it to a computer? I bought it used so it didn't come with that wire I need to connect it to a computer. Also what wire does my camcorder require? If it helps, I plan to do my editing on a Apple computer with Final Cut Pro, i don't know if that helps with the kind of wire I will need. If anyone can help me out with this it will be much obliged.

Thanks very much!

Blog Entries
    Hi Iceman-
    Welcome to MC. You should be able to use the Firewire output of the camera to go directly to your computer. You didn't state which Apple computer you have but you do need that Firewire port to capture with FCP.

Regards,
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Thank you SC358, so I can buy this Firewire output at any electronic store? Oh yea the thing about the Apple computer is that it belongs to my friend All I really know is that its an Apple laptop. I'll find out so maybe you can help me even further.

Thanks a bunch!

Blog Entries
    Quote: Iceman_1990
    View Post
    Thank you SC358, so I can buy this Firewire output at any electronic store?
    The Firewire output is on the camera. The laptop Firewire connection, will depend on which flavor Apple your friend has. Not all notebooks will have them.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

oh right duh haha sorry I'm very new to all this. Well I found out from my friend that he actually has a Mac Book Pro..I was very ill informed because he also told me he had Final Cut Pro in there. But he doesn't so now we have to try and get the program too, do you know if those have the firewire connection?

Blog Entries
    Yes, they do.
    SC358

Sweet! thank you sir!