1/8 stereo to xlr mono

Hi there, newb here. I see a lot of discussion on this, but haven't found the answer I need yet. I want to run my portable CD player (I know, old school) into a channel of my powered mixer for break music at my gigs. I want it in a channel so I can add it to my mains or monitors, as my mixer only runs the tape input rca jacks to the mains. So, I am looking for a 1/8" stereo male to go to the XLR connection in the channel. I want both L+R to be summed into the XLR. I run my system in mono. The channels have PAD switches, and the CD p[layer has both headphone 1/8" out, as well as an Aux 1/8" out. I tried following the wiring diagram on here for a 1/4" stereo male to an XLR, but I got only one side when I plugged the jack all the way in. When I pulled the jack halfway out, I got both L+R. I see these cables specifically for this purpose to buy at american musical, etc.. but I have the components already, and would like to make it myself. Is there an easy way I can wire up this cable, or should I be looking in different directions? Please help, thank you anyone.

Blog Entries
    Welcome to MC brainbanana,

This is the typical wiring:
    Red wire --> 1/8" tip --> XLR Pin 2
    Black wire --> 1/8" ring --> XLR pin 3
    Shield --> 1/8" sleeve --> XLR Pin 1

The xlr should be labeled and show their numbers.

In regards to the mini connector (3.5mm or 1/8") some manufacturers have a soldering terminal close to the center which coincides with the tip. See pic #1.

IMG_4340-LR..jpg

The ground terminal is the longest terminal which also acts a strain relief for the wire when you crimp the tabs down; this leaves the 3rd solder terminal as the ring. See pic #2.
    IMG_4341-LR..jpg

If your still not sure which terminal is for the TRS, use a multi-meter (or a continuity meter) to help you determine which is the right connection.

Happy soldering!
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Thanks a bunch for the reply and help. That is the wiring diagram I found before, and tried. When I wired it like that, it was only one side (mono) of the stereo signal when I plugged it all the way in. For some reason, when I pulled it half the way out, I got the stereo signal? I used a continuity tester to determine the soldering order, thanks for the helpful pictures. Those things sure are small to solder, haha. I will try it again, and make 100% sure I did everything to that diagram. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    After creating cables yourself, always perform a critical visual inspection & a metered continuity check of your work to ensure all is correct. The slightest solder bridge will bring about problems. As long as you're sure of the integrity of your cable (or any cable) look for the root of your audio problem elsewhere.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Thank you for the tips. I did check all my connections and solder points. They were all good. I still get a mono (only L or R) signal. I then tried a purchased XLR to balanced 1/4" cable plugged into a stereo 1/4" to 1/8" adapter. Still no change. I just ended up using the typical 1/8" stereo to dual L/R rca cable, and I sacrificed running the music through my monitors. The signal is clearer that way, and it is true stereo. I would love to know how to run it through my stage monitors, though... Thanks again-

OK, so I really feel like a dummy now. I am old old, haha, and have been running CD players through pa systems for 20 years+. We always would just use whatever cables and adapters we could rig up, usually to the rca jacks. After studying deeper into this forum, I am (instantly) realizing that I should use a direct box made specifically for 1/8" stereo signals to go to a balanced line in (channel) on my mixer. Sounds like that would give me the best signal integrity and overall sound, as well as allowing me to have L/R mono signal run to both my mains and monitors with levels for each. I didn't realize they made direct boxes specifically for this, but now I see whirlwind and live wire both have them, and probably thousands of others, haha. Hope I didn't waste anyone's time. Just gotta save $50 or so... Thanks