Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Premier pro problem

Hello everyone, I am hoping that someone out there can tell me what might be going on and how I might be able to solve a problem with playback in Premier pro. My native file is a MPEG Movie 1440 x 1080, Pixel depth 32, Frame rate of 29.97, 48000 Hz - compressed - stereo, audio 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - stereo, average data tare 827 kb / second and aspect ration of 1.3333. The camera is a Canon Vixia HF R21.

When I open a new project I use sequence presets AVCHD 1080i30 (60i) Anamorphic. Everything about the general pre-set matches the source file exactly. Everything on the general tab seems correct and in Video previews section, Preview file format says I-frame only MPEG, codec is greyed out and says MPEG I-frame, maximum bit depth and maximum render quality are not checked.

The problem I have is that when I import the file and play it the video is very choppy and jumpy, almost as if every 4th or 5th frame is missing or something. What was shot as a very smooth zoom is very broken. I am hoping this is just a setting somewhere that I do not understand as I am new to both the camera and have limited experience with adobe premier pro.

The only other thing I can add that I think is a little odd, is that even though the file properties say the it is a MPEG, it shows up as a .MTS file. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone who might have insight to the problem. Thanks Dana

Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar
    Hi Dana,

What happens when you play the video in a normal media player, such as VLC Media Player? Is the footage 'correct' in that?

When you place the footage from your camera onto the timeline in Premiere Pro, is there a red line along where the times are shown? If so, hit Sequence -> Render Entire Work Area to make the line green. The footage should then play fine.

Another thing, right click on the monitors (either Preview or Program, or indeed both), and select Quality - check that that says Draft rather than High or Automatic.

James

Thanks James, I will have a look at that on Monday and get back to you. Cheers, Dana

No worries, let us know what happens. It's nice to close off issues like these so that people can find the solution in the future.

Dana,

If there is nothing preventing you from transcoding the file to another format - you may want to try doing so. Some video file formats are so compressed, editing applications (and your computer) have to work overtime to handle the decoding for playback. Just be aware that if you use a codec that is less compressed, you may need a faster hard drive to play it.

Allan Barnwell

Brilliant! Thanks James! Rendering the sequence did nothing for the problem. Changing to Draft fixed it. Everything is now working as it should be. Thank you so much!

Go you Red Devils!

Allan,

Thanks, Couple of quick questions. 1. Transcode it into what and 2. How do I do that in Premier Pro? Again, I know enough to be dangerous. Thanks Dana

No problem Dana. It's worth rendering in the end before you export it (just a tip).

If you wanted to transcode it, you would probably have to do so in a different program. I'll let Allan reply with his suggestions, but ultimately you would use that program, transcode the video, and reimport it into Premiere Pro. It's fairly simple in the end. Some people get around this by, when first importing into premiere, or indeed capturing footage from their camera, they convert/transcode it straight away, and can work on it slightly quicker.

James

Thanks James. One more quick question. What effect does rendering it before exporting it have? Dana

Well someone will have to check this, but I believe that rendering speeds up the export process by making available the previews to be used in that section. So, say you had a fade between two clips. If you render that section, when you export the whole video, the export process doesn't have to render that section itself, it simply nicks that footage (the preview) and uses that.

If that turns out to be complete tosh, then I guess the only 'use' for rendering is when you want to preview your timeline, it prevents any jittering along difficult bits. Fades are quite simple effects, but others (e.g. 3D shapes, but please stay away from these! They are so overused!) can be quite complicated, and the machine you are using might not be quick enough to be able to play it smoothly.

You can read an explanation by Adobe on their online help section here. You gotta love their funky URLs, huh?

Basically what that says is that rendering is used to allow you to play back your timeline smoothly, but it recommends that you render before you export (to tape - is this the same? ChrisH or someone, can you please confirm?).

Feel free to ask any other questions Dana, that's what this forum is for :-)

James

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast