Question Preview image not showing in Firefox

I've added a video to a website that I'm in the process of making. There is a preview image, but in Firefox it shows an error that the file cannot be found.

Strange thing is that in Chrome and IE8 the file is shown. It also works on my local PC (localhost) in all browsers.

Any ideas why?

http://www.freeipodtouch.org.uk/katies/index.php

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Note: I've not uploaded the video as yet so there's nothing to play.

Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar
    OK well one note about the file URL - you can't use an FTP link as far as I know, it must be a normal HTTP link, or possibly a locally referenced file.

Now, when I try to browse to the file directly in Chrome, the image shows fine (and it shows up fine in the player). When I then try to browse to the file directly in Firefox (4), it shows me a Forbidden error page.

This implies that the issue is not with the media player, and instead with your server setup. Could you send me the contents of your .htaccess file for the images directory (or whichever one is the 'parent' one). I need to see what settings you have for that folder. It puzzles me as to why it would affect a browser, though.

Quote: lake54
    View Post
    OK well one note about the file URL - you can't use an FTP link as far as I know, it must be a normal HTTP link, or possibly a locally referenced file.

Now, when I try to browse to the file directly in Chrome, the image shows fine (and it shows up fine in the player). When I then try to browse to the file directly in Firefox (4), it shows me a Forbidden error page.

This implies that the issue is not with the media player, and instead with your server setup. Could you send me the contents of your .htaccess file for the images directory (or whichever one is the 'parent' one). I need to see what settings you have for that folder. It puzzles me as to why it would affect a browser, though.
    The FTP link was just added yesterday as the video couldn't be added to the test server for now.

There's no .htaccess file on the /katies directory folders. And the one on the root just has redirects, nothing to do with stopping access. It just confuses me why it's fine on all other browsers except Firefox?

Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar
    Indeed, it is very confusing. If no-one else posts any suggestions, I recommend you let the Firefox team know and see if they can shed any light on this. Have you spoken to your web host about this?

Like we keep saying, having access blocked to a directory/file based on the web browser is highly confusing, I'm not sure why a server would block a browser, especially a widely used one, and a recent version of it.

Hopefully someone can help you (and me) out here!

Quote: lake54
    View Post
    Indeed, it is very confusing. If no-one else posts any suggestions, I recommend you let the Firefox team know and see if they can shed any light on this. Have you spoken to your web host about this?

Like we keep saying, having access blocked to a directory/file based on the web browser is highly confusing, I'm not sure why a server would block a browser, especially a widely used one, and a recent version of it.

Hopefully someone can help you (and me) out here!
    I'll try speaking to my webhost and see if they can help shed some light on it. The whole site will move to it's own server when it's ready. I've just got it on an old domain just now for testing. So hopefully it's something to do with the folder structure that's causing it.

I think I've narrowed this down to something wrong with the Flashvars that Firefox doesn't like. I've been reading a bit about how Firefox handles them differently from IE and other browsers. I've even tried swfobject instead and it still doesn't work, so it's not anything to do with the javascript.

Still not sure how to fix it though.