Is there a way to create search form which can pull files from local directory?

I am trying to circumvent the need to catalog digital assets, in this case, images, with our digital asset management server (it takes days so to do).

I am trying to find a way to create a search form which is available by public IP, which will allow the user to search for our product by name. The search input would scan only those directories in which the product exists. Results would return download links to whichever files exist in the source directory matching the search request.

The ability to generate thumbnails would be nice, but isn't necessary.

In searching for this kind of function, I have come up empty. Perhaps there are fundamental issues of which I am not aware?

Thank you for any assistance.

Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar
    I don't quite understand the structure and what they are searching for.

Am I correct in that they are searching for (x) in the following structure:

- (y)
    -- (x)-date
    - (z)
    -- (x)-date
    - (w)
    -- (z) - so (x) doesn't exist

and the form would return links to (y)(x) and (z)(x), but not (w)(x)?

If so, I guess the easiest way would be (if you are insisting that you can't use a database), to get an array with all of the filenames in, search through this array for a mention of the search term, and output links to any matches on the results page.

I would use PHP but only because that is the only relevant language I know.

James

to clarify: the form would need to search by the name, or a portion of the name, of any file contained within the source folder, then return a link to the file(s) in the web browser which in turn would allow for the immediate download of the file.

Camera Operator/Producer lake54's Avatar
    OK so it's:

- (downloads)
    -- (x)
    -- (x)-(y)
    -- (y)-(z)

and searching x would return (x) and (x)-(y).

If so, this should be fairly simple. You would be better off with a database-backed system, as this makes searching for files a lot quicker, and use far less resources on the server side of things. You could make it so that you can add a file manually via FTP, then scan the directory in an admin panel, to add these entries to the database, and use the database to look the files up.

James

You can make use of local jquery.

Check i have used in my website www.tirupatilivedarshan.com

I am not quite sure if I am getting your point here. Let me put it this way, you want to create a page that would search for files using keywords which would be entered by the user. And those files will come from a storage plugged in the network? Or an online database? If you are looking for a file, then you would need an online repository, like an ftp site for this to be possible.