My pictures are blurry!

Three years at a film school and I still can't keep my hands still enough to get an in focus shot. I'll use my latest example:

I was the photographer for my friends wedding (what a time to learn huh?) And I took over 1000 photos. More than half were blurry. I tried using a tripod at the time of the wedding, but it got in my way more than anything. I wanted to get the bride walking toward the aisle and they were blurry b/c of my movement. Getting photos of the groom dressing his 3 year old son and I tried to get shots of them dancing, and again, the movement got me every time. Obviously, the shutter speed and various settings changed throughout the event, so I can't tell you where I went wrong or right there. But I can tell you, that I was limited to using the school's lens.

I used a Canon D40 with a 18-35mm lens. And no, they didn't have other lenses to rent out or I would have used more.

Any advice for future gigs

Blog Entries
    After all my years, I have the same problem but hereís a few things I try to do to avoid (as best as possible) blurry pictures.

• Shoot at (a minimum) 2x the shutter speed of your focal length. If your focal length is 50mm, then your hand held shutter speed should be 1/100th per second or faster. At 18mm, you can shoot as low as 30th/s (if youíre really good) or at least at a 40th/s.

• Avoid your elbows from being horizontal to each other when holding the camera. Make your hands and elbows at a 12 & 6 o'clock position.

• Instead of using your left hand to hold the left side of the camera, try holding or cupping the camera (from the bottom) in the most comfortable position for you. Do this whether in landscape or portrait position.

In addition, bring your left elbow as close as possible to your stomach to help stabilize but be aware of your breathing causing the camera to rise and fall. You may have to hold your breath to help with the stabilization. This may seem like a bizarre technique but I used this and it does help me (rifle snipers are aware of their breathing).
    • When kneeling, keep your left knee up and put your left elbow on your knee while holding the camera from the bottom

• Tripods may not be practical but a monopod maybe a quicker and easier alternative. I use my tripod as a monopod by just using one leg, while other times, Iíve closed all 3 legs to act as a monopod, when in a rush.

Hope youíll find something useful and remember... practice, practice, practice.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Image stabilisers such as tripods and monopods are great! Then you don't have to worry about the photos coming out blurry x

To avoid blur in foto like people dancing or in your case bride walking shutter speed has to be around 1/200 to 1/500. If shutter speed is low tripod not going to help.

Thanks for the tips. These are really valuable for people like me who are new to the photography.

You have mentioned great tips, keep sharing such type of information in future too.

SC358 you have mentioned most of the tricks here to get rid of blurry image. Thank you and everyone will get help from here.