Wich camcorder for a trip / documentary?

Hi all,

At first excuse my english, it's not my native language.

I'm going to India for a year, and will make a trip around the world. My goal is to become reporter. I will be the most of the time in the nature, a lot of outdoor shots so. I will walk all day too for long period, so the camcorder needs to be small and light.

I tried to inquire on it on internet but there is too much informations and I don't know anything about it.

I've got between 1 000 and 2 000 $ to buy a camcorder, wich one can you advise me? and why?

Thank you to read and help me.

Have a nice day!

My recomandation is Canon XA10. It's verry small for an almost profesional camcorder. Is good for reportage because you have microphone XLR input and I think is verry important to make interviews. It's verry compact, verry good for night shooting and its fit on your budget $ 1999.
    I'm not a pro but I plan to buy this camera to make some documentary like you.
    Good luck,
    Doru.

gloum,
    I have wanted to buy one of the XA10's since I read the first reports on them. I think it would be an ideal camera for you, but there are others that will yield excellent quality HD interviews for less money. For instance, I have shot quite a few interviews with my Canon Vixia HF30. It does a great job, but is a tape machine and you would probably do better with tapeless. A used top-of-the line Canon or Sony, a year or two old with a Zoom H4N for audio would do the trick.
    You should read this article about the camera man for the "Around the World With No Baggage Challenge". http://www.rtwblog.com/2010/08/the-u...und-the-world/
    All that said, I would buy the XA10 if the money worked. I just bought a Canon XF100 to shoot my personal history interviews. It arrives tomorrow!
    Best of luck in your endeavors!
    stevej