Old school audio

Howdy folks. I've got some issues getting sound from a record player, and I thought somebody here (who would obviously be much wiser than I) might be able to help!

For those of you who might require a bit of a lesson in the workings of a record player, allow me a brief description! Basically, as the needle of the record player skips along the bumps in the grooves or the record, the motion is transmitted down the arm by a flexible metal strip. That motion causes magnets to move back and forth, producing an electric current.

Now, what I have is a record player that is known to be functioning perfectly in all aspects. A friend ripped it out of it's cabinet to put modern speakers to it and reduce it's size (the old cabinets were sometimes well over 6 feet long). So out of the arm comes three wires (producing sound current), one of which is a ground. It goes to a little board, where the wires split off. The final output (which is what I'm dealing with) is one coaxial cable each, for right and left, as well as one white wire (which I presume to be ground).

I honestly have very little idea what I'm doing here, and I can usually figure stuff out by just tinkering... but this one has thrown me for a loop! I stripped back the coax, and touched on wire from the speaker to the core, and the other speaker wire to the shield. I can get no sound out of it. I tried to wire the record player to a stereo audio cable and plug it into my stereo, but that produced nothing as well!

So, what gives? Am I working this wrong? Should I be wiring the coax differently? I'm sure there's something blatantly obvious I'm missing, but I just can't seem to figure out where to start! Any help would be appreciated!

No worries, I got it figured out! For the benefit of any and all posterity, I will post the answer to my own question here!

The signal from a turntable is too weak to be picked up by a regular stereo amplifier. It must first go through a pre amp, with a dedicated phono route. Naturally this makes sense, and any keen observer will quickly have discovered the correlation between "phono" and "phonograph".

So, we run from the record player to a pre amp, and THEN to the stereo amplifier!

that is correct

amplifier is necessery. do you know why is there a special phono input and not just a line input???

Also be aware that the frequency response is not linear ... it will need RIAA equalisation.