Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vonhfg

What web design language should I learn?

I want to learn web design. Not to be hired as a web designer but to design my own business site. I know some (a little) HTML. Is there another language that i should be focusing on that may be easier or better or do i pretty much start with HTML and get very good with that before moving on to something else...

Blog Entries
    Definitely start with HTML. Pretty much all web design is based around HTML. Even if you learn a programming language to make something easier, it still has to output HTML. Learn HTML, then CSS and JavaScript, then maybe something more advanced like PHP.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

HTML, CSS, and Javascript are the things you charge to know, because those are the things that absolutely get beatific to the browser. It's acceptable to accept a basal compassionate of how XML differs from HTML, so that you can use XML/XHTML tools. If you're accomplishing adorned being you'll charge a bigger compassionate of XML.

The added languages --- Java, Ruby, PHP, Perl, Python, XSLT, and so on and so on --- you can aces and accept which ones you learn. Probably, you'll acquisition some of them added to your affection than others. Odds are that you'll alone do a little programming in these languages, but mostly use some array of agreeable administration arrangement accounting in one of these languages. Knowing the accent your CMS is accounting in can be helpful, depending on this and that.

If you were hiring yourself out, you'd charge to apperceive added of the server-side languages, but back that's not your intention, I'd alpha with HTML and CSS, again already you accept a handle on that, apprentice JavaScript and alpha attractive at CMSs.

FYI, JavaScript and Java are different languages (other than a accepted syntax acquired from C). Netscape aloof chose that name to jump on the Java bandwagon.

You should learn Java because This is the best language to learn.............This is the combination of C and C++ programming languages that are also useful for web designing/development.....If you trying to learn Java then The concepts of C and C++ will be cleared to you...............

Best Engineering College in North india , make your future bright with GGI...

onlineedublog
    html is the most basic language then go for Java

Blog Entries
    Quote: onlineedublog
    View Post
    html is the most basic language then go for Java
    I do not recommend learning Java as a path towards web development, at least not initially. Sorry, Java is a great language but it's not particularly relevant and it's not a good choice for a web developer's first programming language. In the real world of web development PHP would be a more practical and useful language to learn than Java. Yes I know all about PHP's flaws but the reality is that web developers are far more likely to need to know PHP than Java.

Remembering of course (as TruthfulLies pointed out) that Java and JavaScript are two different languages. I do recommend learning JavaScript.

And getting back to what the OP wants to do, there's no good reason to think that Java would be the language of choice.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

While learning the basics of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript (perhaps PHP as well) are certainly good ways to go, keep in mind there are many fully functioning Content Management Systems (CMS) out there that you can learn about to build and maintain your own websites. It can still be handy to know the programming and design coding side of things to give you a better understanding of what's going on behind the scenes, but it's not always necessary. Some free/opensource/popular CMS tools out there are WordPress and Drupal. Many times web hosting services will have built in installations to get you going on these platforms.

I would also add that learning these CMS platforms can be enough of an undertaking in itself, without piling on HTML, JavaScript, or the like. And knowing how to build or design a website with these widespread CMS tools is just as valid a skillset in my opinion. One more thing I would recommend to learn about website-wise is using and managing databases like with MySQL. For databases, a little PHP knowledge is certainly handy, but most of the time there is a simpler frontend tool that manages the raw code side of it for you. All of this will likely help you put together a more powerful, manageable website then simply learning HTML on its own.

In my opinion, the best progression for someone who wants to be a programmer in the internet marketing industry would be: HTML, CSS, JavaScript, PHP and finally C#.

Quote: vonhfg
    View Post
    I want to learn web design. Not to be hired as a web designer but to design my own business site. I know some (a little) HTML. Is there another language that i should be focusing on that may be easier or better or do i pretty much start with HTML and get very good with that before moving on to something else...
    you should start from Html and CSS. C language is i prefer more than any language because it will you in every language like Php & mysql.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast