any alternative to Camtasia software

please help with any alternative to Camtasia software. i mean a software that can record ur desktop and play it back as avi file such that u can view the progress of the use of any application on ur computer.

Blog Entries
    Sure. www.google.com/search?q=alternatives+to+camtasia

Is there any reason you don't want to use Camtasia? I tried a bunch of different options but came back to Camtasia because it was the best I could find for the money. If you could tell us exactly what you don't like about Camtasia and what it is you're looking for in alternative, it might be a little easier to help.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

any alternative to Camtasia software

thanks Dave. Its not that Camtasia is not serving me well but the one I installed is a trial version and i think that is the reason for the limitation it has. Can u please help me on how to either crack the one I have or get a cracked version. or any other free alternative.

I agree with Dave - there's nothing better than Camtasia for PC users! However, if you're working to a limited budget, you COULD check out CamStudio (Google it) as a free, but very limited alternative. It will at least generate AVI's for you.

Hope that helps!

-John.

Blog Entries
    Sorry, we don't promote cracks here, we only deal in legit software. I think John's suggestion looks good. I haven't used CamStudio myself but I looked at a few reviews and I'd say it could be what you're looking for. It is quite limited so if you want to edit the files after recording them you'll need something else as well, but it's a good start.

I did see a few warnings about viruses/malware but I don't think they were genuine. As far as I can tell CamStudio is safe.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Thanks a great deal, Dave and Jlandel.

Am very grateful for your advice Dave, i have gotten camtasia and it is working pretty well. thanks once more

Hi, While I'm "new" to this forum, I'm sort of (been around a while)

OK, I see a reference here in this thread to CamStudio. A delightful little software product which when launched was freely available. The developer who I corresponded with, brought out a further version which converted the capture to the swf flash format. The non-flash version was open-sourced by the developer and many downloaded the zipped files. You will find many mimic CamStudio programs around, same facia but with a charge and different name.
    the free version has limitations and issues now related to potential codec recognition situations for 64bit users. Just be aware to use a suitable 64bit codec (if camstudio can action it).
    The Flash/swf portion of CamStudio video screen capture led to the program being bought out by Macromedia which as you all know was taken over by adobe. Macromedia brought out it's own video screen capture program with Flash capability.

Also mentioned above is Camtasia. there was a free version made available by techsmith on a magazine a good while ago. Users had to login and register. Camtasia 3, full version. This offer is no longer available and the sites to register would be closed now.
    here again an editor will run into the 64bit codec issue when capturing. The program captures and then processes the file - selection of the techsmith codec may result in 64bit read issues for this old program. I believe newer programs of Camtasia are ok.

I have used successfully the Lagarith 64bit capture codec - avi format. thos interested will have to Google and look.

I have used the FREE Microsoft Expression Encoder 4 - quite effective wmv only output, maximum capture time 10 minutes on the free version. again you'll have to google and check.

I have used HyperCam by Hyperionics, but not for a while and it is also now Free. should be pretty good. I will have to install and try it again.

Quality is important and you will need to ensure no image degradation takes place. Check the settings and ensure 100% quality during capture and finished file format. Check the codec used and watch the file sizes. Watch frame sizes, the area of capture conforms to what your editing software can take.

best of luck in what you're after.

Dafydd

I've been using Hypercam 2, which is free and has an unrestricted licence. It's basic, much better than Camstudio (for instance, you can pan while recording). I edit the output in VideoPad Video Editor (also free) and additional sound/voiceover with Audacity.