Unconventional PA For Live Music Question (Newbie)

Hi - I am looking for advice and suggestions on cobbling together a somewhat unconventional PA system from mostly existing equipment for live music performance.

I primarily use analogue modular synthesizer, electric guitar, some pedals and various mics (a wide frequency range at loud volumes), and play small to medium-sized venues (generally indoors, and often rooms not designed for live music - art galleries, for example) and am tired of relying on crummy sound systems that, instead of enhancing my sound, often defeat it. I realized a while ago that the best sound I achieve is with my home system, and I wanted to try and replicate it to the best of my ability without breaking the bank (taking in to consideration that each venue has different acoustics, etc., and that practically speaking I'll never reproduce my 'home' sound - but you get the idea).

So... at home I run my mix through a Mackie Onyx 820i out to an older 500W Yamaha amp on to a pair of 3-way (one passive radiator) 600i B&W speakers and an active Yamaha sub. This all produces nice crisp highs, rich mids and solid lows (the basic goal).

For live I have (for years) run everything through my Roland Jazz Chorus which I originally got for it's clean crisp/bright tone and ability to respond to lows (sort of). That in combination with the house PA's is usually OK, but as mentioned, things often get muddy.

I got hold of a stereo amp (Crest Audio 1501 A 80 watts/channel into 8 ohms, 120 watts/channel into 4 ohms) for free and decided to put the two 12" drivers (60w 4ohm) from the Roland into separate cabs for separation (I do a lot of VCA panning and stereo phasing-stuff) and mounted two in-line Motorola KSN1165A Powerline tweeters on top of the cabs. Finally, I found a beat up (but functional) active (1000w) QSC K-Sub for the lows.

My question is if it's recommended I use a crossover, and if so, which one? Or, can I just run the mix --> sub --> amp --> speakers? My suspicion is the crossover will give more control, but I've never used one, and I'm not sure which one to go with (assuming I would need a stereo 2-way/mono 3-way).

Thanks!
    Last edited by noisefor; 3rd Nov 2011 at 03:51.