I want in the industry

Hi. I'm twenty years old, rap, and have recently started making beats on FL Studio. I have had a passion for music since third grade, and really want to get into the industry. Now as a producer or musician, I understand its not the most stable career path, which is why I would like to learn how to become a sound engineer of some sort so that I can work in a studio or even a news or radio station. Anything that will work as a career path as well as further my knowledge in working with audio. My question to those of you reading my post is, what career moves could I make that can help me get somewhere in that industry? I plan on going to school for music technologies, but what jobs can I get now with what little experience I have that will help me in the future? What type of places can I intern at? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Hi Jammin, welcome to the forum.

I think doing a course in audio technology is a very good idea. In the meantime it does also make sense to get whatever experience you can.

I don't know how things work where you live - it might be completely different - but around here the best thing you could do would be to offer to work for free helping bands. I know guys who have started out working as roadies, helping with sound checks, and slowly building up knowledge of how it all works. Ask questions as much as you can without being too much of a nuisance.

If you have a local community or student radio station, that's a good place to look. They often give free training and it's a good way to get something concrete on your CV.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Thanks for the advice

I already help out with my close friends who are musicians, but we are all new to the engineering aspect of things. I will seek out other local bands with more experience and ask if they need help, and if they are willing to teach me a thing or two. Any other suggestions? What about something where i can learn and get paid at the same time as i am in need of a job. I looked into guitar center, anywhere else where I can gain any knowledge that might be useful and still get paid?

Blog Entries
    To be honest I can't think of anywhere in particular. It sounds like you're doing all the right things but I hear what you're saying about wanting to get paid - we all gotta eat!

TV stations are a possibility, especially if you can find an outside broadcast unit (e.g. sports coverage). These units often hire "sound assistants" who do little more than run around pointing a microphone at the action. The job itself is pretty lame and doesn't pay a lot, but it's a good step in the door and gives you the chance to ask questions, learn and show how keen you are. There are other entry-level jobs too, like cable runners. Although not directly related to sound, it's still a paying job and it gets you in the company of people who know people who know people.....

So much in this game is about meeting the right people. In my experience a huge number of jobs (probably most of them) come from word-of-mouth. Take every chance to meet people.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Dave is right. Keep volunteering and learn until you get pay. Meeting the right people by volunteering. It is tough. You may need to get a part time jobs to support you during this tough time. This is the barrier of entry in this industry.