Another Shutter Speed/fps question....sorry!

To start with I am fully aware of the difference between the two but I have always had this bugging question that I can't fathom!

I know that fps is the amount of frames that make up 1 second of video; usually 25, 30 respective to to location globally. Further more I know that the shutter speed setting on a video camera is the amount of time the sensor (digital) is exposed to light, i.e. a shutter speed of 1/50 or as it appears in the viewfinder "50" means the sensor will be exposed to light for 1x 50th of a second. So taking the above info, if I was shooting at 25 fps with a shutter speed of 1/50; for every 1 second of footage there would be 25 frames each having been exposed for 1 50th of a second; I think this is right please correct if wrong.

So heres my question that will hopefully clear up a long term bug! How can you still have the shutter speed as a variable that still gives 1 second of video footage at 25 fps? Surely if you are adjusting the length of time each frame is exposed through the shutter speed controls this would change the overall length of that bunch of 25 frames? For example lets say; SS = 1/50 @25fps would give 1 second of footage, how can SS = 1/150 @25fps also give 1 second of footage; in my eyes the frames are 3 times shorter thus still giving 25 frames but how can it equal 1 second??? The only way I can see is that a void is created in each frame???

There you go, sorry if this seems like a stupid question

Many thanks

Tom
    Sony HVR Z1, PD170, Mac pro twin quad core 2.66ghz 16gb, FCP 7, CS3... and a partridge in a pear tree!!

Blog Entries
    Not a stupid question, in fact I think it's a common enough question that I decided to make a page answering it. Have a look and please let me know if it makes sense to you:
    http://www.mediacollege.com/video/ca...er-vs-fps.html
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Quote: Dave
    View Post
    Not a stupid question, in fact I think it's a common enough question that I decided to make a page answering it. Have a look and please let me know if it makes sense to you:
    http://www.mediacollege.com/video/ca...er-vs-fps.html
    Brilliant. So I was kinda on the right track in saying to keep the fps and the footage length the same whilst adjusting the ss, there will be a gap. Thank you for this brilliant explanation!!

Tom
    Sony HVR Z1, PD170, Mac pro twin quad core 2.66ghz 16gb, FCP 7, CS3... and a partridge in a pear tree!!

Blog Entries
    No problem, thanks for the feedback and for prompting me to make that page
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Blog Entries
    Hey Dave!

Your "Shutter Speed vs Frame Rate," is a great explanation! Well done!

SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

That really is a great explanation for a beginner such as me as I was seeking the answer. [I know from the date it has been a while but have just joined this Forum].
    I wish more "people" were here. The knowledge exposed is very straight forward.
    I also had one more wish!
    It would be so great if there was a certain table of guidelines for settings under different light conditions and movements [if any]
    As in "cloudy" would give a guideline of the f stop, gain, exposure and on and on.
    I am finding myself [use to total manual for photos] setting the camera on Auto, then switching to manual and taking it from there...
    Stay well, Ara and Spirit

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys, and thanks for the suggestions.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com