Preserving Master High Definition Video and Sound

Hi,
    I had the opportunity to record Full high definition Video through a camcorder, Canon VIXIA HG 20 brought by my sister in the United States. I had to backup/preserve the videos I took in my PC WIN7,64bit, which has only a DVD writer. My question is should Full High Definition videos should be preserved as master only in Blu-ray discs in order to retain the highest quality? Similarly, should audio files having 96Khz/24 bit rate should be preserved only in Blu-ray discs in order to retain the highest sample and bit rate ?
    I am sorry if this has been answered before. I have a slow internet connection and it was difficult to search through the forum, but I went through the “Zoom H4n to Video sound” that was posted recently in Audio section.
    Thanks for answering

Blog Entries
    Hello Bhat59-
    Archiving and preserving is an ongoing issue currently. There's no real definitive answer since nothing digitally will last magnetically long enough on a spinning platter.

Blu-ray dvd is a media for final delivery, meant for viewing. If you want to keep your camera originals (before editing), duplicate your files and store one of them away as your back up and use the other to work with. Do the same with your edited master (for editing again in the same system); export to whatever format you need HD 1080 24P; NTSC; PAL... etc but always have one saved file that you will not touch and one to work with.

You may even want to have 2 masters to keep but all in all this will depend on how much you're willing to spend to preserve what you have. Btw, even though you have several masters on one disc, you may want to duplicate that again after a couple of years.

Good luck with your decision!
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.