Magnets and cameras

Hi all!

Just a quick question.
    Does anyone know how close I can safely store my digital Sony video cameras to speaker magnets; I've heard they can screw up the CCDS

Thanks

Tom
    Sony HVR Z1, PD170, Mac pro twin quad core 2.66ghz 16gb, FCP 7, CS3... and a partridge in a pear tree!!

Blog Entries
    I have to admit I'd never heard of magnetic fields damaging a CCD. I did a quick search and couldn't find any information about it and my guess is that it's safe - I can't think of any way a magnet would upset a CCD. I'll try to confirm this - I know a couple of CCD gurus and I'll ask them about it.

However there is a potential problem with the storage media in the camera. A strong magnet could interfere with the files on the memory card, hard drive or tape. For that reason I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving my camera next to a speaker.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

I must say, I have only heard this the once a long time ago. A friend of mine had a VX2000 and one day went to use it and the colour had all gone all except the red. So essentially it was like having a red gel over the lens. He said it was proberbly storing the camera right next to his editing monitor messed the green and blue CCDs up. Since then I have just kept them clear. Although i can well believe that you are right as I have never found anything online supporting this or ever heard of the problem since; I'm guessing it may have been something else that caused it'

Thanks
    Sony HVR Z1, PD170, Mac pro twin quad core 2.66ghz 16gb, FCP 7, CS3... and a partridge in a pear tree!!

Magnets are harmful for CRT tubes as the change the position of colors.