JVC GZ-MG135 camcoder

Hi All,
    I have recently joined this forum and wonder if I can ask for a bit of advice. I am totally new to the world of camcorders and today bought a JVC GZ-MG135 camcoder for use on a cruise I will be going on in a couple of weeks.Can anyone give me a little bit of insight into this particular camcorder please? Ease of use, expected battery life etc. Anything not so good I should be aware of? many thanks in advance for any advice given.

Blog Entries
    I don't have any personal experience with this camera but the Internet tells me that it's generally considered a pretty good little camera to learn on. I'll concentrate on the negatives so you have some ideas of things to be aware of.

Apparently it's a bit flimsy and tricky to use. That's fairly normal on compact camcorders - you just have to get used to it. If you ever upgrade to a bigger camera you'll notice that it's easier to find and use controls. So although a lot of people say this camera is fine to learn on, remember that all compact cameras have inherent problems with small, fiddly controls.

The picture quality is a bit average. As always I recommend shooting on the highest quality setting. It would be good if you could offload footage to a laptop or something during the cruise so you don't risk filling up the hard drive.

It's been said that the manual focus is difficult to use. If you're just starting out you might want to stick with all automatic functions for now, and learn the manual functions as time permits. Even in the long run you may find the manual controls too tricky on such a small camera, in fact I have to confess that when I use my Sony HDR-SR12E I tend to stick with auto. You can still learn how the auto functions work and coax them a little bit to do what you want.

The low-light performance is reportedly poor, so don't be too optimistic about shooting in underlit situations.

Do plenty of practice before you go, and have fun!
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Thanks Dave, I appreciate the comments and will take your advice on board (seeing how i'm going on a cruise, no pun intended!)
    I received the camera through the post this morning and on first impressions you are right, this thing is tiny, physically smaller than my digital still camera. However all the controls seem to be quite logically laid out. I don't go away until the end of next week so will have plenty of time to practice with it.
    Thanks again.

Blog Entries
    Let us know how you get on!
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com