Automatically detecting player and bandwidth.

Hello. I am really happy I came across this site. It is a great resource. I am just getting started in sreaming video and I've had a hard time finding good information. I hope someone here can help point me in the right direction.

I have Helix Universal Server. I want to embed streaming video in a web page (no pop-up players). I want the user to have to click once to start the video. That much is easy enough. Here is where it gets just a bit tricky. I want to support both Windows Media Player and Real Player and both dial up and broadband speeds. I don't want the user to have to choose speed nor player (it should use their default player). I know that Helix can support this as far as formats go, but I don't know exactly how to make it work. I know it requires JavaScript, but I have not been able to find a good up-to-date example.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Blog Entries
    Hi Dave and welcome to the forum.

I'm afraid I'm not up to date with the latest Helix server so I can't answer your question directly. You might like to try the Helix support forum at https://helixcommunity.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=153.

I have to say that I've never liked the documentation provided by Real Networks. It always seems very difficult to find out how to do things. If you do happen to come across some simple step-by-step instructions for operating a Helix server, please let us know.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com