Adding a Powered SUB (DSR118W) to a PASSIVE PA system

Hi all,

My first post. Great forums! I have a small PA setup in my basement where I play my drums along to the music... Here's my setup which sounds just okay...

CD Player or iPod >>>>10 band EQ>>>>a simple 4 CH Behringer 1002 MIXER>>>>Samson SX1800 (400W/CH @8Ohms)>>>Peavey PV115 PA speakers (400W each).

I want more LOW END. I'm leaning towards adding a single Yamaha DSR118W POWERED SUB. That should shake the foundation a bit in my home. Is it too much??

Anyway, to do this, I suspect I need a Crossover. Am I correct with what I indicate below? Thanks for your info!

CD Player or iPod >>>>10 band EQ>>>>a simple 4 CH Behringer 1002 MIXER>>>>L&R to CROSSOVER CH1 and CH2>>>>CROSSOVER CH1 OUT to single powered DSRW118 SUB>>>>CROSSOVER CH2 OUTS to Samson SX1800>>>> Peavey PV115 speakers.

Well, I took a different route... I have purchased a Yamaha PV118 passive sub, a power amp to drive it and a Behringer crossover to divide and conquer and more cables... I'll let you know how it goes.

It went great! The single 18" sub really added a nice low end to the whole setup. Glad I did it.

Blog Entries
    Quote: DaveTinNY
    View Post
    Well, I took a different route... I have purchased a Yamaha PV118 passive sub, a power amp to drive it and a Behringer crossover to divide and conquer and more cables... I'll let you know how it goes.
    Hi DavTin - Sounds like you've done well, but could you clear some confusion. Which do you have Peavey PV118 or Yamaha SW118?

Regards,
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Quote: SC358
    View Post
    Hi DavTin - Sounds like you've done well, but could you clear some confusion. Which do you have Peavey PV118 or Yamaha SW118?

Regards,
    DOHH! Sorry about that... I went with the passive Peavey PV118 sub cabinet. I had Yamaha on the brain for a while.
    I'm driving the sub with a Pyle 1400W amp and using a Behringer crossover.

Blog Entries
    Quote: DaveTinNY
    View Post
    I want more LOW END. I'm leaning towards adding a single Yamaha DSR118W POWERED SUB. That should shake the foundation a bit in my home. Is it too much??
    Naaahhhh... it's when you sustain the thumps loud (and long) enough to resonate with a person's internal organs, (that'll make them feel queasy) is when it's enough... lol.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

I purchased a second PV118 sub... now I have the low end I need! So much better playing drums along with the music. I don't know if this link will work or not but it's to one of my FB photos of my kit and PA.
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...type=3&theater

It went great!