Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Korrupt Masta

Re: Making an image background transparent (photoshop)

Hi every-one. Any tips on how to get transparancy in 5.0? I cant do it! Is it even possible in 5.0?

Blog Entries

Quote: casualuser
    I think I have the wrong background for PS and leave it to the experts ..
    I don't think there's any particular background you need, it just requires a lot of patience. Photoshop can't be learnt overnight. I say stick with it, you won't regret it in the end.

Quote: Korrupt Masta
    Hi every-one. Any tips on how to get transparency in 5.0
    I can't remember much about 5 but I'm sure it does transparency pretty much the same as the latest version. Have you tried the tutorial? Is there any specific part of the tutorial which doesn't work?
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Try www.photoshopcafe.com Colin has a lot of great tips on that sort of thing. Mind you, most places don't cover much futher then PS 7. I would suggest you try to move to 7 or higher.

pjt111

By visiting different sites & tutorials I understand that the task of making a background transparent using photoshop is not simple. I have not been successful yet. If the author of the post below or anyone else responds, PLEASE write carefully. For example, the message below begins by talking about an _existing_ image, then out of the blue tells us what to do with a _new_ image. Huh?
    Anyway, perhaps the problem is that I'm using a Mac? or IE (b/c I want the images to work on a website that many will visit with IE)? or that I use the cut command to replace white with transparent pixels? or that I save a gif after I cut the white out? or...?

Quote: ShadowDragon
    1) Start off with an existing image, in photoshop, duplicate the "Background" layer so you end up with "Background" and "Background Copy" (When making a new image, be sure to set the background type as "Transparent"), this will unlock the transparent pixels (which is why if you just open the picture and try to erase on the original "Background" nothing will happen)

2) Now you delete the original "Background" layer then start erasing the parts of the image that you want to be transparent.

3) Now, save the image as either a Targa 32bit (note: it MUST be 32bit for it to be transparent in the Targa format) or Gif (be sure that "Transparency" is checked when image settings comes up during save)

This should be it for Photoshop. I do use Photoshop 7.0 and CS2 (9.0), and I noticed that in CS2, the Targa format DOES NOT save properly, it dumps the transparency setting even with 32bit. So needless to say that not all versions of Photoshop work the same.

Blog Entries

Have you tried our tutorial? If so, can you tell us exactly what you are doing (every single step) and exactly what is going wrong? We can't help if you just tell us that it doesn't work.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

ok *LOL* is thread has gotten soooooo long. Dave there may be in a book to write just on this topic.

james \o/

Blog Entries

I never know what to do about threads like this. They get so long that no-one bothers to read all the messages, so they start asking the same questions over and over again

That comment isn't aimed at anyone in particular, it's just a general observation.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

RWTD
    If you have a background that you're wanting to convert to transparency then just take the "Magic Eraser Tool" and click on it. BAM, you're done!

Ally

Finishing up a logo to its best quality

I'm not a member but found a lot of the posts really helpful!! =)
    I have been self-teaching myself photoshop since last year and am a quick learner. I'm finishing up and retouching a logo for a photography company and needed some help!! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated My email address is :Ally11830@sbcglobal.net

"When you select the background (before removing it), check the "Anti-aliased" box in the Tool Options bar with the tolerance set to a few pixels"............concerning this reply from Dave...

I have the problem of having a little bit of the background color around the final image and it did not work. Here is what i did:1) checked the paint bucket 2) clicked anti-aliased 3)set the tolerance to a few pixels 4) removed background with the magic eraser tool ....to test and see if it worked i just simply added a colored background. It seemed to disappear on some colors, but on darker ones i could still see it. The logo is an electronic signature that will be used as a logo and on digital prints!!

I would also like to make sure that when i'm finally finished that the transparent layer works. It is my first time learning about the transparency options and need to know how to test it out. I only have photoshop CS and ImageReady. So when i see the checkered layer and save it as anything other than a jpg. How do i make sure that it will work when i send it to be viewed by the photography company. I don't want to look stupid and have it not work again! (By the way the companys computer could not read some of the fonts last time and i had to change it from psd format...But hopefully it will not be a problem this time).

Hopefully what i wrote is clear if not, please ask. I can send my logo to someone if that would be easiest because I need to have it done a.s.ap.

Thanks!!

Ally

Blog Entries
    It might be an idea to register so you can upload the logo with a message, then we can see what you mean.

But it sounds like you might just need to do a combination of selections to get exactly the right selection. I seldom find that one selection will do it. For example, I might use the magic wand to get most of the background around the subject (shift-clicking several times) and then use the marquee selector to get the rest. I prefer to go for a low tolerance like you did and just keep adding to the selection until I've got everything I need.

Feel free to upload a finished image here so we can check the transparency for you.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast