Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Little bit of know-how is dangerous when it comes to me... Just glad to help where I can. The "Big Guy" blessed me with skill so I'm passing it on.

Mailed you a tutorial .doc file. Let me know if something goes amiss. Poorly written, spelling and grammer are not my thing.

Joy Comes In The Morning \o/,

James

Im New so this will probably be easy

I want to make a GIF have a transparent background. I have tried to select the white area with the magic stick then hit delete but i dont see the checkered background. What am I doing wrong???

Jan

Random person =3

CBaS,

ok wat ur doing wrong is basicaly if you ARE using photoshop then u might want file>new, then in teh contant section click the transparent option and open it and u should have a transparent bg

and wat i think ur trying to do is delete the background layer which u can do until you make a new layer first(its impossable to delete anything off the background layer ;P) well good luck from some random person

atmlock

Help!!!

Can someone help me PLEASE!! I am putting together a website for the first time and want to include pictures. I have a few pictures that I have put a "torn edge" filter on the border of the picture. But I don't want any white along the sides. When in PS the edges are checkered but then when I go to use the pics, I find the white border again. I can't seem to figure this out.
    -carmela

Blog Entries
    Assuming you are using the JPG format, you can't have a transparent background. The workaround is to make the part you want to appear transparent the same colour as the page background, so although it's not technically transparent, it looks like it is.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

atmlock
    what if i have a pattern on the background? i tried going through all the same steps and then saving as a gif. but that didn't work either.

I saw how to make a new transparent document, but now how do i paste in my picture?

Blog Entries
    Ahh, a patterned background would makes things difficult. It sounds like a genuine transparent background is certainly needed.

When you save as a GIF, make sure you have the Transparency option checked. If you do this and the image has transparent areas, it should work.

Can you show us the URL of this page and image? Also, if you register here you can upload the image so we can have a look at it if you like.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

RegiO

Mrs

Hi guys,

What I want is to save a .psd artwork with a transparent background and when I email it to the person who needs it, they be able to use photoshop and also have a transparent file. how do i do that? when i sent it to them, they complained that it had a white background.

James_Gatech

.psd to .png

I am making a video game. I am completely done with the code part of animating a set of images. I have all of my animations saved as .psd files. I have spent hours upon hours trying to create a transparent background for my 2d character. He will be walking along a background and I need his actual background to be transparent. Its sort of like a mario 1 video game for visualization purposes. So I have tried a lot of different stuff.

1.) I save the first .psd file as a jpg on maximum quality 12. It looks sweet except it added that stupid white background so now i have a guy with a white square walking around on the screen. So I double clicked the layer area and saved a new layer as Layer 0. I used the magic wand and selected the background and hit delete. Now I have only one layer "layer 0" and it is transparent. I went two ways here...

Way 1.) The n00b way. Save the image again as JPEG but only change
    change the name in the box to .jpeg but keep the format as
    photoshop. Interestingly enough this work, the background is
    transparent, and the jpeg works. However, the quality is
    abosolutely horrible. Its all gritty. This will not work.
    Way 2.) In the file drop down menu I selected Save for web. There are
    several options here. I did .Gif with 128,64 everything. Every
    time that I save the image background is not transparent. I
    also tried .PNG which seems to be the best selection so far.
    .PNG is bigger but does support transparency. However, it
    looks like crap like the jpg.

Basically, I want my file to look like it looks when I have it open as a .PSD but i need it to be in .PNG or .JPEG format. Does anyone have detailed instructions on how to do this and it not look like crap.

Thanks all.

ShadowDragon

Re: Making an image background transparent (photoshop)

1) Start off with an existing image, in photoshop, duplicate the "Background" layer so you end up with "Background" and "Background Copy" (When making a new image, be sure to set the background type as "Transparent"), this will unlock the transparent pixels (which is why if you just open the picture and try to erase on the original "Background" nothing will happen)

2) Now you delete the original "Background" layer then start erasing the parts of the image that you want to be transparent.

3) Now, save the image as either a Targa 32bit (note: it MUST be 32bit for it to be transparent in the Targa format) or Gif (be sure that "Transparency" is checked when image settings comes up during save)

This should be it for Photoshop. I do use Photoshop 7.0 and CS2 (9.0), and I noticed that in CS2, the Targa format DOES NOT save properly, it dumps the transparency setting even with 32bit. So needless to say that not all versions of Photoshop work the same.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast