Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Re: Making an image background transparent (photoshop)

Hi guys, I found this forum through Google since I have a problem. I want to make a transparent gif, which is basically white space, but the background is patterned. Here's my website:

http://www.tennismindgame.com

It's in Slovenian language at the moment.
    What I want to do is to make the area under the navigation buttons transparent so that the background image will "come through".

I can specifiy in the SBI Look and Feel selector the image for the left navbar area. So I would need a transparent gif.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

Tomaz

Blog Entries

If I understand correctly, it's the area behind the buttons you want to be transparent, not the buttons themselves.

If so, there is a table below the images which has a white background colour (#FFFFFF). You need to clear this colour to make the table transparent.

If I've misread your question and you really want to make part of the buttons transparent, let me know.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Quote: Dave
    If I understand correctly, it's the area behind the buttons you want to be transparent, not the buttons themselves.
    Yes, that's the area.

If so, there is a table below the images which has a white background colour (#FFFFFF). You need to clear this colour to make the table transparent.

If I've misread your question and you really want to make part of the buttons transparent, let me know.
    Dave, I can't do HTML here. SBI is made of building blocks. I can only upload a transparent gif for that area. And I don't know how to make one. (so that the background will be seen through)

Get a copy of Irfanview (freeware), cut out the image with another software and copy it with a solid background color in the area to be transparent. Then save it as a GIF and set the transparency in the save dialog.

Blog Entries

Quote: TommyM
    Dave, I can't do HTML here. SBI is made of building blocks. I can only upload a transparent gif for that area.
    Then I'm afraid you're stuck. A transparent image won't help because it's the table which is causing the problem. It has a solid white background - the only way you'll ever be able to see through the table is to remove it's background colour.

I suspect you may be learning some of the limitations of using an "easy" system like SBI. These places tell you that it's all a piece of cake and you don't need to know anything about web design. Well, they are wrong.

Sorry to break the bad news but the only way to make good websites is to learn how to do it properly and take control yourself. If you use newbie tools like SBI then you'll always be at their mercy
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Hi Guys,

I know how to create a transparent background, but the problem is my images still has a tiny bit of the background color around the image which makes it look sloppy. Is there any way to smooth it out?

I can show you the pic if necessary.

Brandon

i just was trying to figure out the same thing and the post by Shadowdragon worked Awsome. thank allot. now all i need to do is make the image sharper, any ideas on how to do that?
    thanks

Are you talking about ShadowDragon's comment about the eraser? Which eraser do you use and how do you erase the remaining background?

To sharpen, I think you just go to Filter > Sharpen.

I just found your great directions at http://www.mediacollege.com/graphics...arent/gif.html and tried following them. I selected the background and tried hitting the delete key to make it checkered, but nothing happened. I've been stumbling around Photoshop trying to figure this out, but haven't gotten anywhere. I'm a Paint Shop Pro person trying to convert to Photoshop and am stumped. Any help would be appreciated.

Blog Entries

Quote: successfirst
    my images still has a tiny bit of the background color around the image which makes it look sloppy. Is there any way to smooth it out?
    When you select the background (before removing it), check the "Anti-aliased" box in the Tool Options bar with the tolerance set to a few pixels.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast