Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Making an image background transparent (photoshop)

Quote: keress
    I selected the background and tried hitting the delete key to make it checkered, but nothing happened.
    Did you have the correct layer selected in the Layers palette? Also, make sure the layer is not locked (look for a padlock icon in the Layers palette).
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

kryptonite

hey all, ok i know how to cut out a pic n make the background transparent, but how u make the actual picture transparent?? like i just wanna make a rectangle filled wit random colour and ofcourse some effects and make em transparent so i could edit it with image reader later on. so how to make actualy picture transparent?
    thx all

Hello, I have a little problem. I made a logo in Photoshop CS2, i've selected transparent bg at beginning and started with work. When i tried to save my file to image (PNG24 option - save for web) my png file has no tranparent background (i use it as image on the website). With gif it works, but i prefer png to reduce white pixels around the image. What's wrong? i attach png and gif file. Look this files as website images. Please give me a lesson of exporting files to gif or png.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Quote: kryptonite
    how u make the actual picture transparent?
    When you create a file, make sure "Transparent" is selected from the "Background Contents" drop-menu.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Blog Entries

Quote: lipman
    When i tried to save my file to image (PNG24 option - save for web) my png file has no tranparent background.
    The PNG file you uploaded does have a transparent background. I just tried it on a web page and it works fine.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

I know where was my problem, IE doesn't support png with transparent bg. There is a java script that makes bg transparent. In FF and Opera it works without any problems.

Blog Entries

Oh I see. I didn't know that - I just quickly tested in Firefox. Glad it's worked out though.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Hi,

I am a total newbie on PS (CS2) and like many other I am struggling with the big Picture Transparency Question. I am asked to adapt a website and I added up with http://www.xs4all.nl/~rgroenew/. As you can see, the logo (.gif) and the temple (.jpg) have white backgrounds. I could not derive the right actions from the responses in this thread.

So this is what I did: I opened the .gif logo file in PS. With this file, I am not able to duplicate layers, there is only one layer. I selected the background with the magic wand tool and hit delete; like other users experienced, nothing happens.

Then I opened an existing .psd-file containing a webtemplate. Then I also opened the .gif file (logo) as a second file. I tried to move the logo layer icon to the webtemplate but it kind of exploded in size. Then I tried to use place file instead so I created a smart-object (the final result as you can see it now). But I don't know how to manipulate the smart object to get rid of the white background.

So: is PS just to hard for a newbie? Are there any "How to get started" or "PS for dummies" tutorials or does anyone have a step-by-step guidance how to solve the issue?

Any help is appreciated.

Blog Entries

The problem is that the logo, temple and sky background are already one single image. There is no way to make the logo's white background transparent because it's already part of the underlying image.

The only two options are
    (1) Find the original image(s) and work from them to rebuild the montage.
    (2) Use your own illustrating skills to re-create the sky/clouds under the logo.

I wouldn't say that PS is too hard for newbies, but perhaps this particular job might be.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Quote: Dave
    The only two options are
    (1) Find the original image(s) and work from them to rebuild the montage.
    (2) Use your own illustrating skills to re-create the sky/clouds under the logo.

I wouldn't say that PS is too hard for newbies, but perhaps this particular job might be.
    Hmm.. but I DO have the original .gif logo image and placed it as an "smart object". With some magic key strokes I was able to get a pink background but not a transparent one. It requires maybe hocus pocus

I guess PS IS to difficult for me, at least it is not intuitive for me getting the most basic things done. Like giving an existing text another color. I get the complaint Could Not Use The Type Tool Because The Target Channel Is Hidden.

I think I have the wrong background for PS and leave it to the experts ..

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast