Final DVD output problem!

Hi there everyone.
    I'm having a terrible time right now and was wondering if any of you guys can lend a hand as I'm at my wits end!

I have just finished a project which has taken me 11 months to put together. The output is to be standard def DVD where I would create the master which would then go off to a replication/duplication company.

Before I describe the problem here is the background on the project:

• Filmed using Sony Z1 (DVCAM format)
    • Edited using Final Cut Pro with a capture and sequence setting for DV, PAL anamorphic etc
    • Colour graded and corrected with FCS Color program sent from FCP
    • Sent to compressor using the "Best" 120 minute standard MPEG 2 codec
    • DVD authored, formatted and built in DVD studio pro to a disk image on hard drive
    • Disk image burnt using disk utility at a speed of 4x

Ok this all worked well but when I went to play the DVD in a machine everything looks fine until the camera and/or the dancer moves. Theres a slight echo affect on the image; it's hard to describe but for example, if she moves her arm it leaves, just a slight, echo trail of her arm until her arm stops again! This gives off a strobe like feel when watching! What is causing this does anyone know??? I have never had this problem before. When I use the simulator in DVDSP it doesn't do this! But surely its the compression. One thing I did notice was the new sequences created from the color program on their return journey from FCP to color and back, had changed the field dominance from Lower(even) to upper(odd) even though in Color's user prefs I kept the format etc prefs to original format. Anyhow "great" I thought this must be the cause! I changed the field back to Lower(even)on all the new color sequences used in the project compressed these again the same way and used this new file in the dvd project. Burnt another master and ..... the problem persists!!!

Any help would be appreciated as I have the project finished all except for this problem and I need to get it done for her. I have used this workflow many times before without this issue.

Many thanks in advanced.

Tom
    Sony HVR Z1, PD170, Mac pro twin quad core 2.66ghz 16gb, FCP 7, CS3... and a partridge in a pear tree!!

Blog Entries
    Like you, I thought it sounds like a field order problem and that correcting the dominance would fix it. Can you try making it progressive and see how it comes out?
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Hi Dave Thanks for replying. Field dominance; we were both right!! I have found the problem through hours of process of elimination. Basically color for some reason changes the FD from lower to upper on the new sequences its creates in FCP on the return, don't know why??? Initially I simply changed these back to the correct setting but to no avail! i then looked deeper, I edited each dance move as a separate sequence, these were than put together and nested on a "main feature" sequence which had the correct FD from the start as I created this on manually. Thinking that after changing the settings it would filter this change to the nested intances on the main feature; well it didn't! Theses maintained the upper field. So basically, re-nested the corrected color-born sequences, re-compressed built formatted and burned and hey presto she's a winner!

All sorted; I'm happy!!!

Thanks again mate

Tom
    Sony HVR Z1, PD170, Mac pro twin quad core 2.66ghz 16gb, FCP 7, CS3... and a partridge in a pear tree!!

Blog Entries
    Whew, what a mission! Glad you got it sorted and thanks for the update. Personally I long for the day when interlacing is nothing more than a bad memory
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com