Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Stock Motion Graphics & Video Website - FREE HD CONTENT

Hey guys, I'm here today to show you a site that I've been working on for quite a while now; our aim is to eventually be the number 1 provider of FREE stock video & motion graphics. We have a lot of very strong, unique and HD content up at the moment and will be adding new content every week!

Check us out: http://www.videvo.net

Let me know what you think, any suggestions or constructive criticism will be gladly accepted.

Cheers,

Videvo

Blog Entries
    My suggestion is not about the site itself (which actually looks good), it's about the way you're promoting it.

I very nearly deleted your message because you blatantly ignored our forum rules. In addition, you did everything you could to make it look like spam, including making your URL size 110 font (FTFY) and crossposting the exact same message, word for word, to about a million different forums. It makes me wonder if there's even any point replying as most people who do this never bother to come back and read the replies.

You have a good looking site but you're spoiling it by creating a bad impression. After seeing you spam so many forums I'm automatically suspicious. Everyone knows that forum-spam is bad and is usually only done by unscrupulous people, so that makes me wonder what else you're up to. Are the clips legit? Will I end up on some spam list if I sign up? I'm just saying, this is the impression you're making by starting off with a spam campaign.

One thing a lot of people in your situation say is "but it's a free website so I should be able to promote it for free. It's good for everyone". Just in case you're thinking of saying that, don't. Imagine if every free website went around spamming forums the same way you have - forums would be overrun. Forum owners really hate that excuse.

As I said though, the site does look good. I wish you all the best but I suggest that you accept one simple fact: If you want to promote a website - even a free one - you need to front up with the cash to pay for advertising. Just like I have to for my free website.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Quote: Dave
    View Post
    My suggestion is not about the site itself (which actually looks good), it's about the way you're promoting it.

I very nearly deleted your message because you blatantly ignored our forum rules. In addition, you did everything you could to make it look like spam, including making your URL size 110 font (FTFY) and crossposting the exact same message, word for word, to about a million different forums. It makes me wonder if there's even any point replying as most people who do this never bother to come back and read the replies.

You have a good looking site but you're spoiling it by creating a bad impression. After seeing you spam so many forums I'm automatically suspicious. Everyone knows that forum-spam is bad and is usually only done by unscrupulous people, so that makes me wonder what else you're up to. Are the clips legit? Will I end up on some spam list if I sign up? I'm just saying, this is the impression you're making by starting off with a spam campaign.

One thing a lot of people in your situation say is "but it's a free website so I should be able to promote it for free. It's good for everyone". Just in case you're thinking of saying that, don't. Imagine if every free website went around spamming forums the same way you have - forums would be overrun. Forum owners really hate that excuse.

As I said though, the site does look good. I wish you all the best but I suggest that you accept one simple fact: If you want to promote a website - even a free one - you need to front up with the cash to pay for advertising. Just like I have to for my free website.
    Hi Dave, i'm sorry that posting my site on forums offended you; it just seemed like the most efficient way to make my site available to the people who will actually use and benefit from it. Cross posting on different forums doesn't exactly count as spam, it's not like i've started replying to every thread on the forum with a link to my website. I've come on here and shown you what I have to offer.

Regarding "It's a free website so I should be able to promote it for free", I haven't said anything of the sort - money is going to be spent on advertising, but that should not prohibit me from unveiling my website to targetted communities first.

The fact that the current bouce rate is under 28% shows that the content I have is what the people I am advertising it to want. People are coming onto the site, staying on the site for very long time periods in some instances and are taking advantage of the free HD content.

As for the rights to the content, everything on there we have full rights too and have either made ourselves, had made for us or bought full giveaway rights too from the origonal authors.

What I am showing you is a new facility that could revolutionize low budget multimedia production - I am a student myself and I have wanted a resource like this to tap for some time.

I'm glad you approve of the site however, and I hope you visit back once we have grown.

Once agan, I am sorry for offending you with my post, but I have not spammed this board and there is no malicious intent alongside my introduction to this fantastic new resource.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for coming back and replying. Just to clarify, I don't think you're a "regular spammer". If I did, I would have done the same as what I do to the other 50 spammers I get every day and delete your account without a second thought. I can see that you're in the category of "inadvertent spammer" which is still somewhat frustrating but I do understand where you're coming from.

Because I like your site I'm going to make the effort to see if I can help you with some advice. I've been running forums since they were called bulletin boards and I can tell you that forum spam is the biggest single problem facing people like me. It's worth understanding why, so you can avoid getting offside with forum moderators.

First, I recommend that you read this page which has some ideas about promoting your website in forums.

Second, let's be clear: Unsolicited crossposting to multiple forums with the exact same message promoting your website does count as forum spam. That's exactly what forum spam is. It's really important that you understand this.

The excuses you're giving are exactly what we get from all spammers. We get so tired of hearing things like "But my site is so wonderful your visitors will want to hear about it". Honestly, saying that just makes moderators more angry.

Regarding "It's a free website so I should be able to promote it for free", I haven't said anything of the sort - money is going to be spent on advertising, but that should not prohibit me from unveiling my website to targetted communities first.
    I didn't say you had said it. I cautioned you against saying it, just in case you were thinking of it (it's one of the half-dozen things that forum spammers usually say).

As for the rights to the content, everything on there we have full rights too and have either made ourselves, had made for us or bought full giveaway rights too from the origonal authors.
    The point I was trying to make was that if your first impression is one of a spammer, these other suspicions will naturally arise. I wasn't accusing you of anything, I was explaining how people are likely to be suspicious of your website if they perceive you as a spammer.

Once agan, I am sorry for offending you with my post, but I have not spammed this board and there is no malicious intent alongside my introduction to this fantastic new resource.
    No offence taken. I understand that there was no malicious intent, that's why I'm trying to work with you instead of ban you. But again, you must understand one thing: Even though you didn't mean to, you did spam our forum. I'm not going to hold it against you and I've love to see you hang around here. I'd even consider giving you a plug in our blog, but only if I can be confident that you understand the issue of forum spam and why it's so important not to do it.

The last thing I'll say about spam is that I'd love to see you come back here and post updates about how your site is going, but only if it's not just more crossposting - if you're going to get free publicity from us at least do us the courtesy of an individualized message

I hope this clarifies my position. I'd like to drop the spam topic now and consider it resolved unless you really feel a desperate need to say anything else about it. I'd prefer that any further conversation focuses on the merits of your website because I do think you're on to something. I'm not sure if I'd go as far as saying it will revolutionize the market because there are other sites already doing free stock material, but there's no reason that you can't be a prominent player. I wish you all the best and I look forward to seeing how it unfolds.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Hey Dave, all the above has been read, understood and appriciated - thanks for the info, politeness in which it was delivered and kind words towards the site

The main reason our site stands out from the rest is the motion graphics, and that's what i'm trying to work on at the moment. If you google "Free motion graphics" You get a very small ammount of good, usable material - and that's somethig i'm trying to address. As for stock video, you are right - there are other places for that. Due to this we are just focussing on HD footage of a very high standard, and won't be uploading anything sub-par. Hopefully this approach will work!

As for site updates, I'm working on a home page at the moment and that should be implimented soon. After that I'll begin to think about user accounts and then intergrating them into a forum (no idea how this works yet, so this could be interesting!)

Ideally i'd like to have each member account linked to a profile which they can write a bit about themselves on, maybe have a little shoutbox underneith (again, just ideas here) and they would also have a list of all videos they have uploaded (that will be a new feature soon). I think it could be quite neat.

All videos will have to be accepted and will be scanned to check if they are anywhere else on the web, as digital rights are somewhat of a nightmare sometimes.

What do you think? Any ideas or suggestions will be gladly accepted

Edit: That article was insanely relevant , thank you!

Blog Entries
    Lots of good ideas there. Unfortunately there's a bit of a catch-22 when setting up user profiles, forums, etc. It's hard to know what you're going to want in the long run but you sort of need to decide what you'll need before you get too far down the track. You don't want to develop a profile system and then and up installing a forum that has its own profiles - it can be quite a pain integrating stuff like that. Ideally you'd settle on all the software you're going to use before you start asking people to create profiles. It's a tough one. I guess a lot depends on whether you'll be writing the software yourself, contracting someone to write it, or using off-the-shelf software (like we do here with vBulletin). For most websites I'd say go with off-the-shelf where possible but it's a bit trickier with a site like yours.

On a different note, do you offer any incentive for people to contribute? I'm just thinking that if there's no reward it might be tougher to get high-end producers giving you their stuff for free when there are paid options out there. Doing it in return for publicity might work though, which I suppose is where the user profiles can provide some benefit.

In any case I like where you're going and it would be good if you can keep us updated on your progress.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Yeah, I know what you mean - i'm finding it pretty daunting. I'm currently trying to find someone to speak to who is well clued in on such things and will take it from there. I'm hoping to have the forums and site user profiles created and implimented at the same time so that we can get compatability sorted from the start.

I'm bouncing a few ideas about contribution incentives at the moment. We will be doing contests on the forum, which will have prizes for members who upload the best content, post the best video which utilizes our stock and other contests along those lines.

I'm thinking about having prizes either weekly or monthly for contribution, and contributors will be given forum benefits such as asthetics to do with their profile ( I've seen this work well before) and possibly some strong, targetted advertising. I'm not 100% sure on what i'm going to do yet, but i'll keep thinking until it's time to act - hopefully i'll have a good system by then!

Blog Entries
    Just a quick note here... I decided to try one of your lower thirds but I was put off by the requirement to share it on Facebook or Twitter first. If you find that people aren't following through with downloads as much as you're expecting, that could be something to consider relaxing.

Also, the tag links don't seem to do anything (tested in Chrome & IE).
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Hey Dave, yeah the social media requirement was just an experiment really. I'm going to remove that in the near future. Thanks for the info on the tag links, i'll look into that. Busy developing the account system and home page still, also talking with some superb videographers who are going to let us host and share their footage! Really excited. I've finished preparing a lot more motion graphics so am uploading them now, hopefully the stock from the videographers will counterbalance all of the new motion graphics.

If anyone reading this is interested in sharing their stock footage then let me know it's a good way to advertise your blog/youtube/whatever at the same time as helping people out big time!

I'm going to be modifying the search feature too, so you can check if you would like to search stock video, motion graphics or both; I think this should add to the functionality somewhat.

I'll be back with an update soon!

Hey guys, just a little update:

We have now seperated Motion Graphics and Stock Video - this should help people find what they want much faster. The homepage will be up soon and then after that user accounts. We are going to take off the forced sharing via social media, so this will make the site much more appealing any other ideas? Trying to make it as easy to use as possible!

I've also made a little promo video for the site, what do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wImw...ature=youtu.be

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast