Thread: Ntsc & pal

Ntsc & pal

Hello everyone, I'm new to the site and have found some very helpful tutorials since I didn't really go to media school.

I've some questions. I've an upcoming shoot but there's a problem I'm facing now. I'm in Singapore so we're shooting in PAL. Most of the shoot I've done is at 25fps 1080p. But now I've to combine footage that has to be shoot in the US.

Since the US is NTSC, how do I go about making sure that there will be no problems with regards to the difference in frame rates and possibly colour? I've heard colour will be different but that's just how it's broadcasted on TV and not how a video is recorded, right? Both footages will be shot with a Canon 5D M2 so i don't forsee any colour problems.

What I need to know is will there be a problem with frame rates since NTSC does not have 25fps? Final video will be in 25. What do I need to do to make sure there won't be any complications? Would it be ok to tell the US crew to shoot in PAL? What about the flickering problems?

Also, I've had a client ask me if I was able to deliver in ATSC (South Korea). Since it's PAL here, how do I go about delivering them footage in ATSC?

Thank you so much for the help. FYI, I'll be editing in Premiere Pro.

Blog Entries
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

That's a difficult situation and the bad news is that there's no really good way to combine PAL and NTSC footage. Bringing 29.97fps into a 25fps project will create unwanted artifacts and there's not much you can do about it. Movement such as panning makes the flickering problems worse so try to avoid too much of that. Colour is easier to deal with and you should be okay just correcting the colours until they look okay to you.

If you can get your US crew to shoot in PAL, that would definitely be the best option IMO.

Regarding ATSC, do you know what frame rate they want? ATSC supports a few different frame rates including 25fps. I'm guessing that you may need to convert to 29.97 or 30fps though, in which case I'd say there's not much you can do except minimize unnecessary movement and hope for the best.

Basically all you can do is decide which format is your most important market and shoot in that one, then make the conversion and hope it goes well. It's probably worth remembering that most people don't actually notice the problems that would seem obvious to you and me, and conversions between formats are common, so if there is a little bit of flickering in the NTSC version it's not the end of the world.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Quote: Dave
    View Post
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

That's a difficult situation and the bad news is that there's no really good way to combine PAL and NTSC footage. Bringing 29.97fps into a 25fps project will create unwanted artifacts and there's not much you can do about it. Movement such as panning makes the flickering problems worse so try to avoid too much of that. Colour is easier to deal with and you should be okay just correcting the colours until they look okay to you.

If you can get your US crew to shoot in PAL, that would definitely be the best option IMO.

Regarding ATSC, do you know what frame rate they want? ATSC supports a few different frame rates including 25fps. I'm guessing that you may need to convert to 29.97 or 30fps though, in which case I'd say there's not much you can do except minimize unnecessary movement and hope for the best.

Basically all you can do is decide which format is your most important market and shoot in that one, then make the conversion and hope it goes well. It's probably worth remembering that most people don't actually notice the problems that would seem obvious to you and me, and conversions between formats are common, so if there is a little bit of flickering in the NTSC version it's not the end of the world.
    Thanks a lot Dave. The shoot's already done and it was all in NTSC. We still have two more dates to shoot. I will request if they are able to shoot in PAL since the final output will be in PAL. For now though, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I've yet to receive the footage from them yet. If I do find a way to solve the problem with frame rate, I'll be sure to share.