Help, deadline appraoching!

Hi,

I'm currently making a marketing case study video on an editing program called AVS Video Editor 6.2.
    The issue I'm having is the images I have placed in the video are all pixelated, I've had this trouble before
    when using images so I know it's not the program. I'm just wondering if anyone may know what the issue is.
    I don't know if I'm saving images in the wrong format (as JPEGS) or weather it maybe that they are not big enough and should be a certain size. Sometimes videos can before pixelated too.

I'd really appreciate some help as I have a deadline vast approaching.

Thanks in advance!

Lauren

Blog Entries
    It's hard to say - there are lots of reasons for images losing quality in this way. A good place to start would be the image size - are you using images that are smaller than the video frame size?

The format shouldn't matter too much although if the JPG images are heavily compressed it might make a difference.

If you could make a screenshot of the problematic image and upload it with your message, we might be able to get a better idea.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Thanks for the reply!

I have no idea, how would I find out the size of the video frame size?

In terms of compression, do you mean flattening the images? I've put together the text frames on Photoshop and then saved them as a JPEG. Don't know if any problems could have risen here?

had issues uploading a screenshot, so I placed it on an image hosting site for you to see http://bit.ly/P8xnLb

Thanks very much for your help! I've been scrolling through Google for the past few days trying to solve the problem and found nothing of any use. This is my last hope.

Blog Entries
    This certainly looks like an image resizing issue. Is the problem always with text as in this screenshot, or do you have a similar problem with other types of image? Text that has been rendered as an image doesn't resize well.

You should always know about the properties of the video you're editing so now would be a good time to learn how to do that. I'm not sure how to do it in AVS Video Editor but normally in an editing program you'd have some sort of "project settings" window that lets you see and change things like video frame size, frame rate, etc. To complicate things, there are at least two different sets of settings that affect the video properties - the project settings and the export settings (I think the export settings can be accessed with the "Produce" button in AVS). Ideally they should all be the same for maximum quality.

What format are the original text images? How were they made? Can you find out what pixel size they are? (you can normally do this by right-clicking the file in Windows Explorer and selecting Properties)

Basically you need to find out the pixel size of the original image and the edited video. If they're not the same (a fairly safe bet), the best option is to recreate or resize the original image to match the video. You can use Photoshop or something similar to do this.

If you can't figure it out, let me know and I'll download a copy of the AVS software and have a look.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Many thanks again for your reply!

The problem arises with any JPEG image, whether it's text or not. With your guidance, I manged to find out the exporting size of the video frame, 640 x 480 pixels. Do you think this will this be the project size also? I've tried to find the project size elsewhere but can't find any settings for it anywhere in the program. When you set up a project they don't give you any size options to choose from it's all ready predetermined, so that doesn't help either. I did mange to work out that the file sizes of the images I was importing in were 3580 x 2480 pixels which I think is quite large. I thought I would change them to the export size to see if this made any difference to quality. So I resized all the files to fit the export size of 640 x 480 but my images still are pixelated. I recon the project size must be different to the export size, that's why I'm still having issues as I don't know what size that is.

The original text images are a PSD file made on Photoshop and are then saved as a JPEG.

Again really appreciate the help with this.

Lauren

Blog Entries
    I've had a look at the AVS help files and it seems that maybe projects don't actually have a pixel size, just an aspect ratio. If that's true then you only need to worry about the export size and aspect ratio. 640 x 480 is a fairly standard video size with a 4:3 aspect ratio (640/480=1.33).

Your JPG images are not quite the same aspect ratio (3580/2480=1.44). If you resize them to 640x480, the image will be distorted slightly. To avoid this, first crop the image to a 4:3 aspect ratio (e.g. 3307 x 2480), then resize it to 640 x 480. I don't know if that will solve the problem but I think it's worth doing anyway.

Can you upload one of the original JPG files? It might be useful to look at.

Also, go through your edit and processing settings to make sure they're on the best quality.

Regarding JPG compression, I was referring to the image quality setting when you save the JPG file. For video work it's best to have this on maximum quality. It's also worth considering using a different format if you can - for example a "lossless" format such as TIF. I'm not sure which formats AVS supports though.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com