What is best format for audio?

As a hobbyist, I am just getting into adding audio tracks to video. I would appreciate advice as to the best format for top quality sound (classical music) (a) if size is no problem and (b) if file size is important. I would be using PremierePro CS6.

Thanks a lot.

Blog Entries
    If size is no problem, any lossless format would be (pretty much) equally suitable. In other words, any format that doesn't use lossy compression. AIFF is a common format often used in video. Uncompressed WAV is also a good option.

To be honest size shouldn't really be a problem when it comes to audio for video, as the audio files are going to be much smaller than the video anyway, and with today's hard drives the size of audio files is quite small. However if you really need to scrimp on hard drive space you'll want to go with a lossy format. Try using compressed wav files and play around with the settings.

I'm going to say something that most audiophiles will disagree with: IMO, for most applications you can get away with MP3. Technically speaking it's not a high-quality format but I challenge anyone to do a true double-blind randomized test and see if 99.9% of the population can tell the difference between a decent MP3 and an uncompressed AIFF original. If you want your audio to pass the most stringent technical tests for fidelity, you'll need to use a lossless format. If you want the audio to sound fine to human beings, the requirements are much less stringent.

Having said this I always use lossless formats myself. Like I said, the hard drive requirements are minimal compared to video and it makes sense to use lossless if possible.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Dave:

Very helpful. Thanks a lot.