White balance/Filters

I have a silly question:
    Do I have to the WB before or after choosing a Color filter?
    If I do it after, then the camera will "see" white and the filter wouldn't make sense. If I do it before, why just not balance for the color temperature I want, say, 2900K if I want warm colors?
    I am sure I don't understand something basic
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote: damianito
    View Post
    I have a silly question:
    Do I have to the WB before or after choosing a Color filter?
    If I do it after, then the camera will "see" white and the filter wouldn't make sense. If I do it before, why just not balance for the color temperature I want, say, 2900K if I want warm colors?
    I am sure I don't understand something basic
    Thanks
    White balancing will adjust for skin tones to look natural, depending on which color temperature range you're working in. So when you have exterior and/or interior scenes and you white balance every time, all will look normal but the amount of light will be obvious. If you add other filters after balancing, then naturally it will have a different look.

I do suggest to shoot everything as best as possible first. You can easily manipulate colors during editing. This way, your shots won't have to be on the filtered side needing correction.

Oh and one additional suggestion, if possible, shoot a color bar chart for a few seconds in the different lighting situations, this certainly helps as field reference.
    Good luck!

SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

what's the difference between white shading and white balance? I heard that white shading is the compensation of RGB channel gains and WB is what we do with a white card before shooting in different lighting environments. Do they play a same role in color reproduction?

Blog Entries
    That's pretty much right. White shading is a more involved process that matches the lens to the camera CDD to make sure there's an even, accurate colour capture across the image (top to bottom, left to right). White balance is a quicker process as described by SC358. For a longer explanation here's a 9-minute video that talks about white shading and matching between two cameras...

Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com