finding a Sound Mixer.

Hello media college forum,
    I have been looking for a specific mixer for a very, very long time.
    Its actually really unbelievable that I have not be able to find what I am looking for.
    I want a mixer, that only does stereo channels and has just a bunch of faders.
    Thats it.

I don't know if I am just calling it the wrong name or what, but I swear if I see one more mixer online that was pretty much designed for microphones, Im going to explode.

All I want to do is be able to control volume levels of different inputs, into one output. I would also like the controls to be the sliders, not the knobs. Im 90% certain that these are called faders.

Blog Entries
    They're called faders or sliders. Either is acceptable.

Regarding the mixer you want, at first I couldn't understand why you're having trouble since it sounds like a fairly standard request, but then I realized you want a mixer that only has stereo channels. That's the key. I thought about it and I don't recall ever seeing a console-style mixer (with faders) that only has stereo channels. It's common to have one or more stereo channels but not to have no mono channels at all and only have stereo. That's because in most situations that require a console/mixer, there's a good chance that at least one source will be mono (e.g. a mono microphone).

I'd be surprised if such a thing didn't exist but it's hard to search for since pretty much all mixer specs include words like "stereo" and "channel". Maybe someone else has come across a stereo-only mixer. One thing to try would be searching "DJ mixers" - they're a bit different to the traditional mixers and may do what you want. I don't know so much about them though.

In the meantime, is there any reason why you can't use a standard mixer with two channels per stereo source? That's the way it's been done forever and it works fine - I guess it takes up slightly more space and is a tiny bit less user-friendly, but if all else fails would this be an option?
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com