How to combine Fostex PD4 & Edirol R44 in a shooting

Hello to all !

I'm new to the forum and to the job as sound recordist in short and feature films. In a few days I 'm going to work in a feature film.

To the point: I need a 4 channel recorder (1 for boom, 3 for lavs)
    We have found a Edirol R 44 and a Fostex PD4
    -Edirol R 44, has 4 channels, records on a SD card
    -Fostex PD4, has 2 channels, records on a 2 channel DAT tape

The director likes the sound of the Fostex, but there are not enough channels..

So, I decided to have the boom always on the Fostex and the 3 lavs on the Edirol!(?)

Are there any problems with quality and syncing later on edit? And how am I going to monitor both? Is there another combination / solution for this or it's gonna be messed up? And if I take the Digital out from Fostex and drive it in Digital in of Edirol, will this get working properly?

Thank you very very much

Blog Entries
    The director likes the sound of the Fostex, but there are not enough channels..
    Most people I've heard who say they like the sound of a particular piece of equipment couldn't recognize it in a true double-blind test. Maybe your director can but maybe not.

I decided to have the boom always on the Fostex and the 3 lavs on the Edirol!(?)
    This really seems like you're adding a lot of unnecessary complication, duplication, effort and cost.

Are there any problems with quality and syncing later on edit?
    Yes - see above. Not so much quality (they will be different but I doubt whether that would be a serious problem), the issue is more the whole hassle & cost of having to dump from DAT and synch the different sources.

And how am I going to monitor both?
    Beats me. Another good reason not to do this.

Is there another combination / solution for this or it's gonna be messed up? And if I take the Digital out from Fostex and drive it in Digital in of Edirol, will this get working properly?
    That might work, I'm not sure. You'd definitely want to test it thoroughly. But honestly, unless the director insists otherwise, I'd go with the Edirol and forget about the Fostex.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Thank you very much for your answer!

I was searching like crazy the last 2 days, and finally we can't have Fostex. But anyway I wouldn't use them together. As someone told me "ch 3&4 can only be analog, 1&2 can be either digital or analog but they are set as a pair. You cannot have one of the two digital and the other analog, that will not work. So you have 4 analog or 2 digital and 2 analog. You cannot have 3 analog and 1 digital"

So thank you very much all of you

Best
    Makis

Blog Entries
    Cool, glad you got it sorted
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com