Multilayer Video Graphics w/ Feeze Frame

I'm really not sure of the "official" term for this, but I hope you all will know what I am talking about. I am wanting create an efeect that's become very common on reality shows and especially on VH1. It's usually used when there's a group of people and then they will focus on one person by freezing the video frame. Then the currrent background is replaced by all sorts of graphics and titles. Then the video will unfreeze and resume back to the original video clip. It's pretty cheesey but I've always wanted to know how to do it. My guess is you mark and in point and take it over to photoshop, but I can't seem to figure it out. Thanks for your help, sorry I wasn't clearer.

Blog Entries
    If you are using Adobe Premiere/Photoshop, I think the best way would indeed be to export a still frame to Photoshop. There you can manually select the outline of the person and remove the background. Take the still image back to Premiere and add your graphics etc to underlying tracks.

I believe you can do this all in Premiere but the last time I tried selecting a person's outline I wasn't satisfied with the level of precision. I always do it in Photoshop now.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com