I'm not much of a gamer these days and I've only had a brief look at Grand Theft Auto. Still, it doesn't take more than a few minutes to understand what it's all about.

I have been somewhat bemused by the pseudo-scandal surrounding the latest version "San Andreas". This version includes a patch called "hot coffee" which converts a romantic scene into a sex scene. Sounds diabolical, right?

Contrary to some reports the new scene is not very explicit. No blatant nudity is shown although it's obvious what's happening.

What interests me though, is the fact that this game is full of extreme violence and actually rewards the player for senselessly killing innocent people. This was enough to get the game a 17+ (mature) rating. Once the patch was discovered the rating was changed to adult-only.

I must reiterate this: The game is focussed on being rewarded for senseless violence. In many ways, the more senseless the violence, the better the reward.

So, in this day and age where gratuitous violence is more of a threat to our society than ever before..... it's okay to encourage 17 year olds to beat people to death for no reason but heaven forbid they should be exposed to consensual sex.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the sex scene. I'm just pointing out that in terms of damage to individuals and society I can't see how the sex scene could possibly be interpreted as more dangerous than the way the game teaches young people to be violent.

Where are our priorities?