SMPTE Color Bars
|SMPTE Bars are "split field" bars composed of:|
|Frame Height (Approx)||Type of Bars|
|Top 67%||Standard EIA 75% amplitude white bars|
|Next 8%||Reverse blue bars|
|Lower 25%||Pluge signal|
See below for usage instructions.
Setting up a Monitor Using SMPTE Bars
- Turn on the monitor and allow it to warm up (10-15 minutes).
- Using a guaranteed source, display SMPTE color bars on monitor.
- Turn the monitor's chroma off or down completely.
- The pluge pattern consists of the three dark bars at the lower right - superblack, black, and gray. Adjust the monitor brightness until there is no discernable difference between superblack and black, but there is a difference between black and gray.
- Adjust the monitor contrast until a smooth gradient of gray appears along the top bars.
- Turn the red and green guns off (there may be a "Blue gun only" option to achieve this). If your monitor cannot do this, look at the bars through a blue filter.
- Turn the monitor chroma up until the far left bar (white) and far right bar (blue) have the same brightness.
- Adjust the monitor tint (hue or chroma/colour phase) until the third bar from the left (cyan) and the third bar from the right (magenta) have the same brightness.